Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone answer a Windows XP networking question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcc

Programmer
Oct 12, 2001
US
I wasn't sure exactly where to post this message so I thought I'd start here....

We have a Microsoft workgroup presently with 4 computers - 2 are Win 2K Professional, one Windows Me and one Win 98SE. Our network is connected through a hub and then out to the internet. We have a new computer with XPHome, that after going through the Network Wizard allows the XP computer to go out to the internet but does not show up on our workgroup. In going through the wizard one of the items said that you need to run the Network Setup Wizard once on each of the computers on your network that are not running XP. It prompts you to make a Network Setup Disk. We tried this on one of the other computers in the workgroup to see if it would make a difference - but of course it didn't.

Has anyone run across this problem? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

1) verify that the xp machine is using the same workgroup.

2) if you aren't sharing any folders/printers then it might not display

3) try installing netbeui

I have the same problem, tried all 3 solutions with no success, just like emcc.

I’ve not used home version, but for any of the dozen XP Pro systems I’ve worked on, other systems won’t even see the XP box unless they have a logon on that machine. Try it on one of your 2K boxes. Add the primary user of the XP system to the 2K users list, and vice-versa. You really should turn off that nasty “simplified file sharing – (NOT) recommended’ bull***T on your XP box before you do this, it’s half the problem. This will allow 2K-like file sharing – much more secure. You’ll find that setting in Windows Explorer tools menu > folder options > view tab. It’s the last one on the list. Also, on the XP box, add the user via Administrative tools > Computer management > users > right-click on users, select add new. Don’t use the users applet to add the user to your XP box.

Don’t forget to make a share available on the XP system after disabling the simple sharing stuff, and then make sure that the 2K user has permissions to see it. Set up a folder likewise on the 2K system. Refresh your network neighborhood, and see if the systems can view each other.

Failing this, next use the search feature of each machine to search for the other, and then map the shared folder, making sure to set the auto-logon checkbox to simplify matters on the next boot.

Don’t forget to make sure all machines have the same protocols installed for communication.

Hope this helps.

DosMaster
"To err is human, to really foul things up, it takes a computer."
"Even a fish wouldn't get in trouble if it kept it's mouth shut!"
" *REAL* Programmers can write: 'Copy Con Program.Exe' "
SETI-Be part of something special:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back