Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone analyze a .dmp file for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

princesspink

Technical User
Sep 19, 2018
US
Hello,

I have this computer that the screen goes black and it seems like it is shutting off but the power button light is still on. You cannot wake it up. If you press the power button, then everything shuts off. Usually you have to press the power button and hold it down for a couple seconds but this happens as soon as you touch the power button.

Once you power back on everything is fine until it goes to black screen again.

I can see in the event viewer it is doing a BugCheck.

I used WinDgb but I dont really know how to read a .dmp file.

This is what I am seeing...

For analysis of this file, run !analyze -v
nt!KeBugCheckEx:
fffff805`28fb75e0 48894c2408 mov qword ptr [rsp+8],rcx ss:0018:ffffaa02`35c3f7a0=000000000000009f
2: kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000003, A device object has been blocking an Irp for too long a time
Arg2: ffffc2027132a060, Physical Device Object of the stack
Arg3: ffffaa0235c3f7d0, nt!TRIAGE_9F_POWER on Win7 and higher, otherwise the Functional Device Object of the stack
Arg4: ffffc20271359050, The blocked IRP

How do I figure out what driver is causing this problem?

Can you download Nirsoft Blue Screen Analyzer and use it to analyze the dump file? Then post a screen shot or copy/paste the important details. Normally you get a hint of the driver responsible.

If it doesn't give a solid clue, you have to try updating all the drivers that you can (sound, video, chipset, ethernet, wifi, BIOS, etc) to see if that makes any difference. And also test the memory!!!

Goombawho: As of yesterday I rolled back both graphic drivers. The computer was fine this morning. Fingers crossed. I will try the Nirsoft Bue Screen Analyzer and get back to you.

Thanks for your help!

Another one I found pretty handy is called "WhoCrashed"

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

The memory dump file is typically located in %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP
The system root is typically C:\Windows\System32.
If the system is configured for minidump, the default location folder is %SystemRoot%\Minidump.

Standard text editors will not open .dmp files properly. Download and install the Windows Driver Kit for Windows 10.

After installing WDK for Windows 10:

Open the Start menu
type windbg.exe.
Click File and select Open Crash Dump.
Browse to the .dmp file you wish to analyze
Click Open.

Adrian G,
Hosted QuickBooks Expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor