Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can anybody help me...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkalra

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
SK
hi !!

I developed an application with VB 6.0 as frontend & Microsoft Access as back end. After i installed the software on a machine (within a network) it worked perfectly. But when i tried to run the .Exe (i bundled the whole thing using package wizard in VB ) on a different comp in a network, it didn't even install. i used ODBC to connect the frontend and backend.

i wanna know...

does Access hv the capability to work on a network environment if not then can i convert my existing access database to SQL (by using a wizard), as it would be too tiresome to design the whole database again.

to be frank with u all i am not good at Access but can work relatively well in SQL 7.0

my basic purpose is to allow people sitting on different comps to access a common database and enter details in it...thats it !!!!

thanx,

cheers :)

There is no reason why you should not use Access as the data store for a distibuted application.
Providing the table contents are not massive then it is as good as anything else.
On big data structures it is very ineffiecient across a network and will take up a lot of network bandwidth which will not please the network manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back