Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Actionscript run OCX/Dll Files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janicefoo

Programmer
Apr 17, 2003
MY
Dear gurus/members,
I am a newbie in actionscript. I would like to know whether its possible for actionscript 1.0 to run OCX/Dll file that is located on the user's computer. I have a flash button on my website that is supposed to run an application(installed on user's computer) once the user clicks it. I was hoping that the actionscript can call ocx/dll from user's computer(saved along with the application installed). The OCX/dll will check if the application exists on the user's computer. If yes, it will launch the application. Otherwise, it will request user to download the installer.

My question is whether can actionscript call ocx/dll file? Any suggestions or ideas are highly appreciated. Looking forward to your reply soon.

Thanks in advance,
Janice

Not really. You have no access to the host computer's file system directly from Flash. You can use third party tools like FlashJester etc which adds this functionality to your movies.

Depending on how you set things up you can use fscommand from Flash to access a batch file in the fscommand folder (the only folder Flash permits access to) but this is only possible from a projector file not from the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back