Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Access databases be freely distributed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJay

Programmer
Nov 25, 1998
US
Can Access databases be freely distributed?<br>I'm wanting to write a VB6 database application and I'm wondering if part of Microsoft Access can be freely distribued with the application? If not does anyone know of a database that can be freely distributed?

Yes you can give away the .MDB file. Cause its just a file which VB can create if so inclined.<br> <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

Although for others to open and use your .mdb file, they need to have a copy of Access running on their machine.<br><br>If you have Access 2000 Developer and the other machines do not have Access installed, have a look at the MS Access Package & Deployment Wizard, which will allow you to turn your .mdb into a .exe (freely distributable).

You may want to also consider the MSDE (Microsoft Database Engine).&nbsp;&nbsp;It is actually SQL Server 7.0 with some limitations.&nbsp;&nbsp;No database administration tools and an upper limit of 2GB of data.&nbsp;&nbsp;MS recommends it not be used for more than 5 users, but there is no programmed limit.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is freely downloadable from MS and requires no fees fro distribution. <p>John Kisner<br><a href=mailto:jlkisner@jlkisner.com>jlkisner@jlkisner.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back