Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Access be used to generate and respond to text messages? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheresAlwaysAWay

Programmer
Mar 15, 2016
US
We have a long-established A16, SQL Server 2016 DB for an insurance company with about 20 users. I've been asked to investigate whether Access has texting capabilities.

It's an easy matter for me to create the list of clients to whom we would like to send a text message. I'm trying to find out if it is possible to send a text through Access.

Think of a pharmacy that sends a text telling you that your prescription is ready for pickup. It's that kind of message that we want to send.

And just as in the case of the pharmacy, sometimes they ask you to reply with Y/N for more information, and sometimes they add a Y/N to completely opt out of text messaging. I would like to integrate that also if possible.

As always, thank you all in advance for taking the time to help.

Thank you so much!

There's a wealth of knowledge there, and I believe that it has provided me enough information to proceed.

I don't have a green light from the owner of the company yet to implement this. I was investigating what was involved and whether it was even possible.

Regardless of whether I actually wind up doing this, you've helped immensely and I think you've provided everything I would need to complete the task.

Thank you again.

I did some more 'googling' and turns out (with the SQL Server) you can set up 'sending' and 'receiving' SMS messages. Place records in one table to be sent, and you can have another table to receive messages. Sounded pretty cool, but I don't know if you can do it with Access.

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

That does sound pretty cool but I really think that I need to do this from within Access. Access has to determine which customers get the message and control the entire pop-up operation of the messages and perhaps the drawing of pre-written messages from a table depending on circumstances. I also need to database confirmation of a send to each customer and store all of that at the table.

It seems that it would be very difficult to try to accomplish all of that from the server side.

I'm actually hoping that the owner OK's this. It looks like a really fun project to work on.

Thank you again for your help.

It does sound like fun :)
What I would do is: run a 'proof of concept' first. Set up a little 'experiment' involving just a few people (include your boss, too) and run some tests just for fun. Send some funny messages based on some criteria to see if/how it works. Before commitment on a bigger (production) scale.

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back