Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a VB.net application return a value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gundie

Programmer
Feb 5, 2004
US
I have 2 vb.net applications (App1 & App2). What I'm trying to do here is have App1 call App2 via shell command, and have App2 return some results back to App1 after App2 is finished running. How do I do that?

You can return an Exit Code(integer) to windows and create and launch it from a Process then watch for that code, but that really isn't the proper way to handle it. It is much better to write the results back into some type of log file, database, or something of that nature and have it watch that way. Really the thing you need to ask does it really need to be two apps or just act like two apps? Off/on I work on a program that I've been making that is a Picture Viewer/Explorer. It is actually one app, but the user sees it as two.

-I hate Microsoft!
-Forever and always forward.
-My kingdom for a edit button!

If app2 is a console program, you could capture the console output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back