Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a table be locked out to users from the Navigation Pane. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pack10

Programmer
Feb 3, 2010
US
I have been charged with researching an issue.
We have a table that acts as an audit log.
Is there a way to lock that table to unauthorized users or access.
By that I mean, we need the system to log the transaction but we dont want the table to be edited if someone opens up the database with a shift-enter to get to the Navigation pane. Is this possible.

Thx

There are ways to make this difficult but probably not impossible. You could try hiding the table or beginning its name with "usys". You could also use code to push audit records to a table in another database file.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

You should lock the db down by disabling the AllowShiftBypassKey option as well as other start up options which can easily be accomplished with code. As Duane has suggested you need to make the table a hidden object of the db other wise someone can still link to it and finally you should make the db an MDE file to complete the process

HTH << MaZeWorX >> "I have not failed I have only found ten thousand ways that don't work" <<Edison>>

The best option would really be to move to a full RDBMS package like SQL Server where security is both strong and easily managed. Access security is comparatively week and ultimately not native in newer versions but supported for legacy formats.

If you have a Access 2003 or earlier you can use Access security to remove update and delete permission.... You could even use a separate file for the log table but still use a more current accdb file for your other data (Not sure what kind of performance hit you will take).

For us, hiding the table will work and disabling the F11 key does the job for me at this time.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back