Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a query be executed thru Windows Scheduler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefox56

Programmer
Mar 27, 2002
US
I want to automate the execution of append queries that update data in an Access database from external file sources (either ODBC sources or a network flat file source). I'm not very familiar with writing scripts, but would like some way to schedule Access tasks to execute automatically.

In the queries or macros window (depending on what you want to schedule) point to the macro or query you want to run and drag it to your desktop. This will create a shortcut to your query. Place this shortcut in a folder somewhere and call it via the scheduler!!

Should work.

Best of Luck
Tony

In my experience, you cannot schedule a task for MS Access to run on SQL Server. MS Access will not run properly in the background and can hang up your server.

God Bless ;-)

Create a macro that will run the query you would like automated. Set up a new task in the windows scheduled tasks. In the properties window on the run command line, use something like "c:\progra~1\micros~1\office\msaccess.exe c:\data\test.mdb /x run". This is calling the application, Access; opening the database, test.mdb; and executing the macro, run.

Hope this helps,
Rory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back