Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a Nokia cell phone be used with a xircom modem?If so how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notatruegeek

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
My mother just bought a Dell laptop. She told the salesperson she had only has a cell phone for access to the network and the telephone sales person told her she needed to purchase the Xircom credit card modem that they so conveniently sell. And they supposedly sent her the cable she needed with the laptop. She received everything two days ago. The problem is that she has a Nokia 6162 phone and this cable doesn't fit her phone. The modem is a Xircom@Realport 10/100 56 K cap V.90 NIC/Modem, PC Card. She called them to ask what she should do. They told her that she had what she needed. I've looked at it. There is absolutely no way that what she has will work. They were not helpful.
I am wondering... does anyone out there know if the Xircom credit card modem can be used with the Nokia cell phone? Are there cables available or converters of some sort?
Please help.
Thanks!

nota,
You can use xircom pcmcia modems to connect via a mobile phone, in either of two ways:
1. with a special cable nokia 6162 is not listed at so it probably won't work. It might do if it has the same connector as one of the nokia models listed, but whether that's worth the price of the connection kit for a gamble like that... don't think so
2. via bluetooth. If the phone is bluetooth enabled, all you need is a bluetooth card. Xircom has these: cbt (creditcard model) or r2bt (realport 2 model). If your phone has no bluetooth option, you might be able to get an expansion pack from nokia. Even better would be the 6310, which is bluetooth and gprs enabled, combined with gprs connection at almost 56k!
Either way, i have noticed before that someone at dell is talking absolute cr@p to people.... selling isdn cards fro dsl access etc... so i would complain loudly and ask for managers etc at dell, cause they are in the wrong.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back