Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a Local W2000 AD be merge with a global AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy81

MIS
Oct 24, 2001
SG
My company is planning to move to a W2000 Global AD with all the servers being part of the same AD but this will only take place nect year.

I intending to move users from one office to W2000 first because they current server is dying. Please correct me if i'm wrong but if i'm create the server without AD, i can't run login batch files for drive mapping but if i create a local AD, can i later merge it to the global AD without having to reinstall the whole server ?

I'm sorry, is difficult to follow your question.
But,
Active directory can exist in many configurations. You can have forests, trees. Even you can have trust relationships between domains from different ADs.
Domain Controllers now are not linked forever to their domain (like in NT4). Anytime you can use "dcpromo" to install AD on a server or to uninstall it.
If you have more ADs and you want to move objects from one of them to the other you have to use "ntdsutil".
For users you have even import/export facilities. Using tools like "csvde" or "ldifde".
Of course the best way is to make first a plan. Planning is the most important part. Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back