Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a JetDirect print to a file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSChris

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2004
US
Does anyone know if it is possible to have an HP Jet Direct print to a file, rather than to a printer?

Thanks.

Your question doesn't make sense to me. A JetDirect is a print server (an ethernet device that accepts print jobs from PC's and outputs the into a printer). If you're trying to get a raw print file (command file) of a print job intended for an HP printer, install the printer to LPT1, then change the 'port' to FILE:, and every time you print to that printer it should prompt you for a file name. The resulting file would generally be a PCL command file in the version needed by the printer you installed the driver for.

Is that what you're asking?

The problem was/is that I was printing from an HP3000 running MPE, and it can only print to an HP JetDirect.

Thankfully I was able to find some software which allowed me to be able to emulate an HP JetDirect, so that I was able to capture the print stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back