Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a graphic card with ddr ram run on a system with SD Ram? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwert85103

Technical User
Dec 27, 2003
US
Thanks.

The graphics card VRAM is a subsystem of the graphics card and has nothing to do with the RAM on the motherboard. The graphic card has its own rules for dealing with data that comes from the motherboard.

To be specific, I used for two years a 128MB DDR GeForce 2 on an AMD Thunderbird system with 512MB of SRD RAM without any problem.

Pascal.

The simple answer is yes you can I have the same thing in my computer going on.
If you have any other questions contact me at gotee2000@lycos.com

yeah it would run, definitely. I've been using a 9600 pro on a motherboard with sdram.

the video card uses memory (in that case,ddr) that is in the card although it could use some of the system memory (sdr) and it will still work fine however there is a bottleneck.

Yup, those AGP and PCI Video Cards comes with their own memory, so what to use the system memory for?
Well the games should still use some but, DDR in the video card wont bring up conflicts and stuff in SDRAM Memory-based system. Totally.

;)

- mine is the other way around, i have 512 DDR and 64 MB SDRAM Geforce 2 MX 400...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back