Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a GLOBAL Type be declared? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hs92

Programmer
Nov 7, 2000
US
I want to create a record type that is global to my application. Is this possible and what is the syntax? This way I can pass a variable that is the record type between procedures rather then having to pass a large list of parameters.

Thanks

HS

You should, as a general rule, avoid global variables and structures. One way in which you could do this which would sensibly maintain persistent state would be to have a parameter table with a published interface of get_ and set_ functions in a discrete package to maintain this table's setting.

Have you thought about putting the procedures into a package and then declaring the datastructure within that package. That way they could both easily declare private vars of that type and if you wnated to change the definition you would only have to do it one place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back