Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a domain controler be renamed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luusid

MIS
Dec 4, 2002
US
We need to replace a domain controler with a new server and I want to know if there is an issue if we bring up a new domain controler and then rename it to the old one we are replacing. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

David

NOOOOOO!!!!!! I did this once many years ago with an NT BDC and it caused havoc! The machine name is embedded into so many areas within the registry and when you rename a server not all of these are updated.

Is the existing DC still accessible? Is there more than one DC in the domain? If so then I would recommend DCPROMOing the DC, turning it off and then deleting the account before you build the new server. If the server has fatally failed then you can still remove the DC by using the NTDSUTIL command prompt program to remove the DC.

Hope this helps,
Glenn
BEng A+ MCSE CCA

This isn't an NT server, it is Windows2000. We have two DC's Currently. DC01 will not be touched. DC02 is still active but very full. We need to restore the files from backup to the new server DC03. We would then bring down DC02 and bring DC03 up as DC02 with the same IP address. We would rename DC03 offline so it isn't connected to the network. If this will be that much of a problem then I will just redo the login scripts to point to the new server where all the files and home directories are located.

David

I assume that DC03 is already built then? Your safest bet would be just to edit the login scripts. Thats what I ended up doing. The bottom line is you shouldn't rename a DC. Glenn
BEng A+ MCSE CCA

Thanks for the info... After reading the following article I decided we will DCPROMO both servers and bring them both down before I bring up the NEW on in place of DC02. MS's article about renaming the DC gave decent instructions on how to do it. Your heads up helped me save a lot of headaches!!!!

ARTICLE:
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back