Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a COM+ Proxy Service resolve my problem? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamCA

MIS
Mar 28, 2006
CA
I have a problem. A software package that was inherited requires the users to have local admin rights on the server where it runs. The explanation I was given for this is:

"We use dynamic transient events (Loosely Coupled Events in COM+) to display traces in our application. This Microsoft technology mechanism follows the Subscriber-Publisher design pattern. The client subscribes to a publisher (the server) to receive filtered traces depending of the application launched and the user trace level configuration.

When the user starts TMSPortal.exe an instance of AMazeKernel.dll is launched in RAM. When the user clicks on AMaze Zones icon an instance of TMSFramework.dll is launched. All those processes are launched with the user credentials of the user logged on to the client machine. TMSFramework is the process running on the client side that subscribes to the COM+ catalog on the Server side. The goal of this subscription is to be notified when trace events are published by server-side A.Maze components like a callback mechanism.

Thus, to be able to write in the COM+ catalog; it is mandatory to have administrator right on the machine.
"

My question is "Can we create a proxy service that runs using administrator credentials to perform the functions that would normally require administrator level rights?"

Secondly, is anyone aware of any documentation of this type of approach that I could provide to the development team?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back