Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can A Child Div Position Outside the Parent Div 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einstein47

Programmer
Nov 29, 2001
US
Here is the page in question Safe Info

When you click on one of the notes, a new DIV is displayed. You can move this DIV around the page by dragging the title bar of the DIV window. So far so good.

However, if you move the DIV window outside the TABLE (the blue header and the single blue line above the footer), the DIV window gets clipped. Why can't I dynamically position the DIV Window outside it's parent DIV TABLE?

The reason the TABLE has a DIV around it is so the header will stay fixed when you scroll the data in the table. This page is just an example. The real web application will have many more rows of data.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Einstein47 (Starbase47.com)
“PI is like love - simple, natural, irrational, endless, and very important“

Hi

HTML:
[b]<div[/b] [maroon]id[/maroon][teal]=[/teal][green][i]"resultsContainer"[/i][/green] [maroon]style[/maroon][teal]=[/teal][green][i]"height: 352px; margin-top: 2em; position: relative; z-index: 10; border-bottom: 1px navy solid; [highlight]overflow: visible;[/highlight]"[/i][/green][b]>[/b]
But personally I prefer to keep styling and content separate :
HTML:
[b]<div[/b] [maroon]id[/maroon][teal]=[/teal][green][i]"resultsContainer"[/i][/green][b]>[/b]
CSS:
div[teal]#resultsContainer[/teal] [teal]{[/teal]
  [COLOR=coral]height:[/color] [COLOR=darkgoldenrod]352px[/color];
  [COLOR=coral]margin-top:[/color] [COLOR=darkgoldenrod]2em[/color];
  [COLOR=coral]position:[/color] [COLOR=darkgoldenrod]relative[/color];
  [COLOR=coral]z-index:[/color] [COLOR=darkgoldenrod]10[/color];
  [COLOR=coral]border-bottom:[/color] [COLOR=darkgoldenrod]1px[/color] [COLOR=darkgoldenrod]navy[/color] [COLOR=darkgoldenrod]solid[/color];
  [COLOR=coral]overflow:[/color] [COLOR=darkgoldenrod]visible[/color];
[teal]}[/teal]

Feherke.

You are so freakin' smart - I knew it was something that I was just overlooking - thanks a million!

Einstein47 (Starbase47.com)
“PI is like love - simple, natural, irrational, endless, and very important“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back