Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a bad SPS on CLARiiON FC4500 cause a path to fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjb23

Vendor
Jan 15, 2004
US
The initial error found upon reboot of the server was "No hardware found". We can now see all disk but only on 1 path. I have a failed SPS and am using caching. My question is; would a failed SPS cause the connected SP to fail or become unusable? I was originally told that the system could be configured with only one SPS anyway. Is it because it was configured for two and now only has enough battery power to support the caching on one SP? The SP connected to the good SPS is OK.

Could I be looking at two different problems?

A failing sps won't cause you to lose a path.

It is true that you can use only one sps.
If you power cycle the Clariion with only one sps, it should work just fine.

An update to my previous problem.

It does not look like the path failed afterall but rather all of the disks are being controlled by 1 SP. I believe this is refered to as trespassing.

Could this be caused by a bad SPS?

Extremely unlikely. Trespasses usually occur as a result of an sp panic. If you look at the event logs for the SP that didn't fail, you'll likely see an 'sp removed' message.
It could be the sp pancic'd as a result of a bad dimm, a flaky disk (back end issue) or a faulty sp. SPS issues usually just result in the amber light on the front of the Clariion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back