Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can 2 copies of a tape backup be made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blonde

Technical User
Mar 22, 2001
US
We are thinking of storing off site (for disaster recovery) tapes of the weekly backups. I was wondering if 2 copies could be made, so that one could stay on site, incase we need to do any restores of data for users? can two copies be made of a backup. ? one to keep and one to store?
veritas 8.6
blonde

No
BackupExec 8.6 can't make copies of one media.
You must wait Bexec 9.0.
You can make your backup on disk, then make 2 copies of this...

Bye
franz

Thank-you for answering my Question, now how do you make a copy to disk.? Is it in the veritas help screen. I will look. We are trying to develope disaster recovery procedures. and I am Blonde about this...@! thanks again

Ok..
If you start the wizard where you can set up your backup devices you can design a directory on your hard drive for backup to disk.
Disaster recovery? Windows NT o 2K?

Bye
franz

We have mostly W2k Servers, and a few NT4. What I mean about disaster recovery is as a precaution, we want to take backup tapes off-site to keep for safe keeping. but sometimes I may need these tapes to do a restore of any user files that users may mess up. or delete or what ever, so I thought if we had double tapes, one could go off-site. We are in trying to develope the idr recovery, but have had some glitches in that also. I will look into the disk save. thanks blonde

You can use a product from NovaStor called TapeCopy.

I think you'll need 2 tape drives but it will make copies of your DLT tapes. Not sure if it works for copying other tapes but it also converts from other tape formats to DLT.

I got mine when buying Quantum tapes but you might find it at

Mark,
Thank-you so much for answering this question. But we have just recently switched to the LTO drives.? Can I still use this for the LTO tapes ? Blonde

Not sure Blonde but I can email you a copy of it to try for yourself (only about 2.4mb Zipped) and I'm sure it's legal as there was heaps of these given away as a promo when buying Quantum DLTs

backup@bcs.org.au

Sounds good. My email is sheila_fowlkes@labor.state.ak.us
The LTO drives that we have are IBM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back