Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can’t see wireless network on XP Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daved25

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
Can’t see wireless network on XP Pro

Have a Dell Dimension XPS B866 that I upgraded few years ago from Win 98 to Win XP Pro (started with formatting the drive I think). Anyway, the system seems to run just find other than two issues that I just noticed (one I care about, the other may be related so I mention it here too)

I recently purchased a Linksys WUSB11 (Wireless USB Network Adapter). I followed the install instructions and plugged in the device, let XP Pro recognize the device. The system was then sitting at the ‘install what driver’ screen. I was then supposed to insert the CD (which I did) and then tell XP to get the driver from the CD. When I inserted the CD it just took off and I assume it got the driver from the CD – either way, later I reinstalled the driver to make sure it came from the CD (also installed the driver from the Linksys web site just in case (it was the same version)

So the problem… Win XP Pro created the “Wireless Network Connection” ok, but it has a red “X” through it and says “Wireless Connection Unavailable”. I installed the same USB device on my Win 2000 laptop without incident. The Dell does have an Ethernet card in it and I can connect to the network hard-wired OK.

The ‘could be related’ issue that would be nice to get resolved as well is that when I do any of those Internet speed tests, my connection on my older/slower laptop, and from others that have connected to this network (wired or wireless) get a speed of 700 to 800 to 900 KBPS but this Dell (hard-wired) ever gets above 450 KBPS.

Some other notes: I tried setting up the network in ‘properties’ of the wireless connection and it still can’t find it. The power light is on then I plug in the device into the USB port (also get a blinking link light). Also, I have used the USB port for other things so I think that part is OK.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

\Dave

Hi
I hope that i will be able to help you abit

For the question on
my connection on my older/slower laptop, and from others that have connected to this network (wired or wireless) get a speed of 700 to 800 to 900 KBPS but this Dell (hard-wired) ever gets above 450 KBPS.

maybe because the ethernet card on the Dell com can only support that limit of internet speed.

the problem… Win XP Pro created the “Wireless Network Connection” ok, but it has a red “X” through it and says “Wireless Connection Unavailable”.

Will it be that window XP pro is unable to support your that particular hardware device Linksys WUSB11 or perhaps your Linksys WUSB11 is spolit.

I hope all these helps you.

1. Have you installed XP SP1 on the Dell desktop? It sounds as if the desktop is reluctant to support USB Version 2. Focus on the USB issue, I think rather than your network settings.

. If you have not installed XP SP1, you should. The USB 2 drivers for XP a part of the service pack.
. Check this site thoroughly to see if any of the Dell issues affect your desktop: . There are two XP Wireless issues that may affect you: If for the Linksys device you installed its sotware package, including Wireless client, you will have to disable Windows Wireless Zero Configuration Service. You cannot run both the Linksys client and the XP native Wireless service client. The second issue is related: if the Wireless Zero Configuration client does not work for you, and sometimes it does not, follow the instructions for installing the client software for Windows 2000. Make certain that you have disabled the Windows Wirelss Zero Configuration Service before beginning the installation of the Linksys client, (and have the Linksys device unplugged from the machine).

Note: to disable the Wireless Zero Service, right-click My Computer, Manage, Services, Services, and scroll down to nearly the bottom of the list. Stop the Wireless Zero Configuration Service, and set its default behavior to disabled.

For you wired adapter you should take two steps:

1. Obtain the newest drivers for the device from the manufacturer's web site, and install them;

2. See if your speed test results show any recommendations for tweaking either your RWIN value or MTU. MTU by default will be 1500 which is fine for cable; for DSL service set it to 1492. Your speed test site should give specific RWIN recommendations, if it does not, use the excellent tweak test at http:\\ under the Tools section. You can obtain a free utility on that site for setting client MTU and RWIN values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back