Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can´t restart Analysis Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

piei2000

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2003
BR
When I stop and star agian Analysis Services, the server stops responding. The service (MSSQLServerOLAPServices) is running but nobody can conncet to Analysis Services. I have to stop the service, delete all data files and start the services. Then users can connect to the server.
I notice something strange. Some dimensions have a file with a .axis extension. And these files have the modified attribute changed after restarting the service and I found in Event Viwer an error message: "Relational data provider reported error: [Unspecified error]."
Could it be a memory problem? The server has 2GB of RAM memory. Is it enough? I have 3 cubes, with 20 regular dimensions, 40 virtual dimensions, 20 measures, some of the dimensions have more than 1 million of members and the fact table has 2 millions of records.

piei2000:

It could be a RAM issue.

Analysis Services, by default, loads ALL dimensions (and their related hierarchies, members, etc.) into RAM when the service is started -- regardless of how much total physical RAM is available to the service.

A couple of additional, non-RAM-based questions: is your OLTP (relational) data on a separate server? Have you run a trace on the source data to see if there's a connectivity issue there?

MTI

My OLTP (relational) data is on the same server, so I have no connection problems.

Paulo

Paulo,

As I replied in your other thread you are experiencing a ram issue. either increase your ram, or move AS to a diffrent server.

when AS does start go into taks manager and look to see how much memory msmdsrv is using.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

Check Microsoft Knowledge Base article 331925

Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side because there is more manure there - original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back