Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Camera security

Status
Not open for further replies.

johningram

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2003
US
If i wanted to setup a low cost security camera to monitor my driveway and front of home and i wanted it to record to a tape and automatically record over the tape when it runs out where is a good complete system that would meet all my needs. The tape would need to be long enough for atleast 24 hours but a week would be better. That way if i went on vacation it wouldnt record over the evidence. Im planning on mounting it in my home looking out a window into my driveway. Also are there any laws about recording the sidewalk or street or anything else i might want to know about. Mostly though id like to find a good deal on a good and easy to put together system. What do the pros use?
Thanks,
John I

Sorry. I also know how to use a search browser.

I was actually looking for someone who might know all there is and would know of the best deal on equpiment i need and what ill need as well as where to buy.

Thanks
John I

I built one.

It uses a PIR sensor to detect movement and records 15 seconds of video.

When it thinks it's recorded 960 * 15 seconds, it rewinds the tape and starts again at the beginning.

There must be a commercial product out there that does much the same sort of thing though.

rgds
Zeit.

I haven't personally done it myself yet, but you can use any video camera to accomplish this. If you already have an analog camera that you want to use, then I would suggest you install a VIVO (Video In Video Out) video card in your PC. ATI All-in-Wonder cards are perfect for this, and some older ones can be found for well under $100.

With the camera hooked up to your PC's video card, you can use the MMC software to only record when movement is detected. A hard drive with at least 10GB of space can record decent quality video for 20 hours depending on the resolution and bitrate settings. You can actually up that figure to as high as 10 hours or more per GB, the lower your quality settings are.

Advanatages:
- don't have to worry about tape
- rather inexpensive solution
- motion-sensing setup
- wide range of quality settings

Disadvantages:
- involves use of PC (must be kept on)
- can require a lot of disk space (recommend at least 20GB free if possible)
- requires a camera that doesn't automatically turn off

This is just something I've thought about, but haven't really tried. Perhaps someone else can weigh in with a better solution. I'm not even sure what laws, statutes, or ordinances this type of action might be in violation of, so finding out should be at the top of your priority list.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Im really hoping i can find a all in one do it yourself really easy to use kit. Its going to be installed by a person who is limited in technical experience. A package deal or a kit is what im looking for. Something cheap.

Also i cant use a pc for this.

Sorry John, but this site is not geared towards Video Surveillance technology - especially this forum which is entitled "PC Hardware - General Discussion".

There are a ton of sites on the net, along with a ton of places to ask these types of questions. It is not meant to push you away, but I just wanted to warn you in advance in case you don't find the type of response that you're looking for.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back