Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Camel Case...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michellepace

Technical User
Sep 12, 2020
ZA
Good morning,

Is there perhaps a function in pervasive where I could convert a string to camel case? That is,

Original: HELLO MARY WHITE
becomes: Hello Mary White

I've searched the Pervasive 13 manual and did not find anything... just trying my luck in case I missed it.

As always, thank you.

I'm not aware of many Databases that have that kind of function built-in and Actian / Pervasive doesn't have it either. You could always use whatever programming language you're using to build a function to convert it or you could write a DB function to do it.
This might work (I haven't tested it other than to see if it compiled and returned the correct value for one test):
Code:
CREATE FUNCTION GetFirstLetterCapital(:str varchar(8000)) RETURNS varchar(8000)
AS
BEGIN
DECLARE :n INT;
SET :n = 1;
DECLARE :pos INT 
SET :pos = 1;
DECLARE :sub VARCHAR(8000);
SET :sub = '';
DECLARE :proper VARCHAR(8000);
SET :proper = '';

if (length(rtrim(ltrim(:str))) > 0) then
begin
    WHILE (:pos > 0) DO
        set :pos = locate(' ',rtrim(ltrim(:str)),:n);
        if (:pos = 0) then
            set :sub = lower(rtrim(ltrim(substring(rtrim(ltrim(:str)),:n))));
        else
        	set :sub = lower(rtrim(ltrim(substring(rtrim(ltrim(:str)),:n, :pos - :n))));
        end if;

set :proper = concat(concat(:proper, concat(upper(left(:sub,1)),substring(:sub,2))), ' ');
        set :n = :pos + 1;
    END WHILE;
end;
else
  set :proper = '';
end if;

RETURN :proper;
END;

Mirtheil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search