Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Camcorder DV 1394 Win2k pro Not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnwhite1201

Technical User
Jul 28, 2002
US
I need help getting Windows 2k Pro to recognize my camcorder which is a Canon ZR65 MMC. The camera itself does not have a driver and the drivers for the 1394 port are as up-to-date as they can be with the SP4 installed. My camera actually sees the connection but the computer does not. I do not think it is a hardware problem becasue part of my config is a Creative Audogy MP3 that has a 1394 port on it. I also have a MB that has a 1394 port. And when I could not get those ports working w/ the camera, I went out and bought a separate add-on card from adaptech. That did not work either. I know the camera works because I saw it work on a PC before I bought it. I have tried rebooting after I reiinstalled the driver, I have tried not powering on the camera until I have connected the cable, having the camera on before turning on the PC, you name I think I may have tried it. Except for what works that is, and I am almost sure that it is something simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Did you at least check support at Canon?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Yeah, and they stop when the camera signals that it sees the connection form the PC. They are not to concerned about the PC seeing the camera.

O, I see, some support.
Of course, here you may have a hard time too, we cannot 'see' or test anything, and since there are no errors, it's a bit difficult.
You can only hope someone here had a similar experience.

PS: Can you no go and ask where you saw the cam working?

Im sure it works on windows xp (maybe it was xp where you saw it working) , xp has alot of supported periferials in the imaging category.

SYAR

Thats what I am think also SYAR, I was just trying to wait a bit until the next OS came out. But it looks like I might have to jump on sooner than I planned. Thanks for the thoughts!

Hello.

What kind of software did you install to download the movie through the firewire interface? Because you have tried several 1394 cards, and because both the camera and win2kpro are compatible with 1394 the likely problem is the software used to download video. I would recommend you try installing another package than what you are using.

I checked Canon's website and it doesn't appear that they include video editing software with the camera, though it seems that they include something called "DV Messenger" which works with Windows Messenger to give you video chat. You could use this to test out the camera. If that doesn't work, try a free one like virtualdub and see if that can work.

Hope this helps -

Smithcferg

I have sent the camera back to Canon to be repaired. And I checked on it today and they say they are repairing it, so that (currently) leads me to believe that thier was something wrong with the camera, (stay tuned).

For those that r interested, I have received the unit back form Canon and it worked without issue the first time I connected it! It was the Camera and not my system. I have yet to do any editting but just to have it working again is great! However I will also say that the idea that I got two different cameras from the same manf. having the same problem seems to be of major issue to me. Also, by almeans buy the extended warranty, if I had wanited two more weeks before I submitted the first one for reapair, I would have gotten another one right then and there. but as it was I was still under the manf. warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back