Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cambio scheda madre con REDHAT9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sphera

Technical User
Mar 21, 2006
IT
ITALIANO:

Ciao a tutti,
ho un problema con un pc con installato Linux RedHat9. Devo cambiare hardware al pc ma non voglio reinstallare tutti i software da capo, c'è un modo? In pratica devo cambiare la scheda madre.
ho provato a mettere il disco nella nuova scheda madre ma il sistema operativo non parte, non trova il boot.
C'è qualche operazione che mi permette di far andare il disco?
Oppure ancora meglio: c'è un modo per clonare il disco vecchio su uno nuovo e farlo andare nel nuovo pc?
Cosi cambio anche il disco perche è un po vecchio ed è a rischio di rottura.

Grazie mille
Aspetto un vostro prezioso consiglio.

ENGLISH:
Hi,
I've an old pc with RedHat9 installed.
I've to change the pc with another with newest hardware (motherboard) . I've tried to insert the old harddisk in the new motherboard but the operating system doesn't boot.
How i can cope with this?
Can i clone my old HDD? In the newest hardware, can it boot?
Thanks for all

TITLE:
change motherboard with RedHat9

No you cannot.

Linux is not like windoz, once installed your kernel has loaded all necessary modules for your old hardware and they may not be fine for the new hardware.

I suggets you get a tarball of your
/etc /home
filesystems and restore them once you install on the newer pc.

Also, RH9 may not have support for all the hardware in a recent pc, so a natural upgrade to FC4 or FC5 would be perfect.

ITALIANO

Ciao,
LInux non e' come windoz, durante l'istallazione, il kernel carica tutti i moduli necessari per l'hardware presente nella macchina. Se l'hardware cambia i moduli non sono in grado di far funzionare il nuovo hardware e di far partire il sistema.

Ti consiglio di fare un backup tar dei filessystem
/home /etc
e di installare un sistema piu' recente come Fedora Core 4 oppure 5, simili a RH9 ma con un supporto migliore per hardware nuovo.

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

ITALIANO

mi hanno detto, in un altro forum che si puo fare. Ti spiego cosa mi hanno detto:
prendere il disco nuovo
creare le stesse partizioni
metterlo come slave
con il comando dd fare il clone del disco
installare grub nel nuovo disco

Secondo te puo andare?
a me sembra una buona idea, pero non so se dopo il disco parte in maniera corretta.

ENGLISH

someone else tell me that it possible in this way:
put new hdd as slave
create in it the same partition
with dd command clone the disk
install boot loader grub

In this way the new hdd can boot?
I don't know because i don't try it

Anyother ideas?

if you clone the disk from the old one you will also clone the

etc/modules

file. This will load only the modules related to the hardware that was installed in the old machine.

Kudzu, (hardware recognition daemon) may do the rest. I said "may" as it may instead not start at all.

On top of it, you are trying to do this on RedHat 9 that probably doen not have all correct modules for newer hardware.

ITALIANO

se cloni un hard disk, cloni anche il file /etc/modules.

Questo significa che al prossimo avvio il kernel carica solo i moduli relativi al vecchio hardware.

Kudzu potrebbe aiutarti trovando nuovo hardware e caricando i moduli necessari, ma la macchina potrebbe anche non riavviarsi del tutto.

Inoltre cerdo che tu stia usando RedHat 9 che probabilmente non ha i moduli necessari per il nuovo hardware.

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back