Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAL's again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve1962

Technical User
Jul 1, 2003
GB
Sorry about this, but I still haven't got to grips with W2K server licensing.
If I change to per seat, what happens with regard to licenses when it was running in per server mode? Do they 'carry' over?
In per seat mode, do I have to physically add licenses to the server, or is it done the same was as per server mode, by going through Control Panel/Licensing, then just add them to the current value, or is it done differently?
I obviously want everything legal, and am getting no help from the previous Network Admin, and don't seem to have all the paperwork to back up their claims of buying CAL's for our 250 client PC's!
Again, I do apologise, but I am wary, seeing as I can't go back!
Thanks.

You should have a licensing server setup with all of the licenses you have purchased. Check Admin tools for this.

If this is empty they may not of been activated and if you don't have the paperwork (or emails from microsoft is what happens now) you can't do much.

Ring Microsoft Licensing dept and give them you company details and they will give you the codes you need to enter into this program.
Then register everything online with microsoft to avoid confusion in future.

I had the same problem when I took over as system admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back