Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CallPilot backup to laptop possible? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHS1977

Technical User
Dec 5, 2008
US
Has anyone experiemented with doing a network back up of CallPilot to a laptop for purposes of doing a restoral during an upgrade if the tape drive fails? I would like to find an alternative to depending only on the tape drive.
Thanks.

Yes, absolutely! You have the right idea too. You should also flip-flop your thinking. Use the backup to the laptop as your restore data and use the tape as your alternative. The network backup/restore is a lot faster than the tape backup/restore. I'm assuming your CallPilot is 2.02 or higher?

War Eagle!
Lions Baseball '09!

Yes, this CallPilot is now at 5.0.

I routinely do this when upgrading/patching any of my callpilots. I always run a full system backup to a shared directory on my Laptop.

Create a new backup device in the CallPilot server, and point it to a shared directory on your laptop. Make sure you use username/password credentials that will allow full access to the shared directory (full read/write privileges).

You can run a user archive on one mailbox to test before trying the full system backup.

I have found on a 201i system that the backup/restore takes about 30 minutes.

Thank you to allenmac and telebub for your time and help! The tech has successfully backed up the CP to his laptop and I agree with telebub that backing up to the laptop as primary source for backup/restore and using the tape as a secondary method is the way to go in the future.

One last thing to keep in mind is that the network backup to a laptop or other device doesn't automatically overwrite as backups are completed. You will need to manually monitor and delete old backups from the shared backup folder so that your hard drive doesn't fill up. Or you can have a batch file keep that folder clean for you.

War Eagle!
Lions Baseball '09!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back