Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Callmanager 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgal

MIS
Jan 3, 2003
CA
Anyone using Callmanager 6?
Is it mature enough to consider upgrading?

Currently running on v4.2.3sr3
I have an upgrade pack to go to v4.3 which will be doing soon.

However, I do have SASU so am entitled to v5.x or v6.x.

I know they're both linux/appliance based.
Just wondering what your thoughts are. I think there are some nice new features in v5/6 and support for SIP based end-points which is nice.

Using unity v5.01 now too.
2811 gateway with PRI running IOS 12.4 and MGCP

Thanks a lot.

We're currently on 4.2(1) and have SASU too, but held off running up to 5 when it came out. We spoke to our Cisco account manager and he suprised us by saying that 5 did not have some of the functionality that 4.2 had - but that 6 had everything that 4.2 plus all the "new" bits added in 5.

This worries us a little - I'm digging further on it - but we normally refrain from updating to the latest version (we usually wait until the first or second minor version or service release). I'm hoping that moving to 5 doesn't hobble anything we're already doing, because that might force us to 6 and that will NOT give me the warm fuzzy feeling I need. :)

I like the idea of the appliance model though...

well I'm pretty sure 6 is more like 5.2... It's so similar to the previous version, that they ramped up the version # to say hello... we're new. :p

I also noticed that the upgrade codes for 6 are from 4.2 to 6, not 4.3 to 6... so I think I might refrain from 4.3.

There are some features in 5.X which are missing. An example I`ve seen is the use of common profiles. A nice feature in 4.2 whereby you can allocate Softkeys, MOH to a group of users by use of Common Profile, in 5.X yes it is there but it does nothing , it appears again in 6.X. One feature in 5.X that I think is nice is missed calls, if you have appearances of other DN`s on more then one phone such as Boss/ PA at the moment you will see all calls for your phone - bosss and PA. In 5.x by pressing more and then details in the missed call you can see if the termintaing call was for you or the other appearance

CCM 5 was built off of CCM 4.1 and had the same features. So some features in 4.2 are not there. This is the same thing that happened when CCM 4.0 was built off of CCM 3.3.3 but CCM 3.3.5 had features not in CCM 4.0. And they didn't catch up until CCM 4.1. There is a lag because as the new software is developed up to the release date, the old software gets enhancements.
CCM 4.2 runs on Win2k where CCM 4.3 runs on Win2003 server. I've been told they have the same features so no real change except the OS is newer.

Thanks for your insight. I think I'd like to go to 6, once I investigate the upgrade process more, and make sure there are some service releases out for it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back