Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

calling owners of Compaq professional 5100

Status
Not open for further replies.

iainpb

Programmer
Jun 13, 2003
GB
I have recently acquired a compaq professional 5100 dual PII workstation, i intend to install linux and use it as a fileserver for a small subnet.

I have been unable to find any data on this machine on the web, do the chips both have to run at the same speed or can i run two chips at different speeds; eg one at 450, one at 300.
thanks
iain

-transmitted on 100% recycled electrons-

Not an answer specific to your system, but in general terms... Server software generally requires the processors to be the same for dual-processor functionality. Furthermore, on Novell Systems at least, it's even more picky and you have to also make sure you use processors with the same step factor, etc.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Manual for Compaq Professional Workstation 5100 can be found at
I have one of these working with two 333MHz PII processors and Mandrake installed. Only supports processor speeds of 266, 300 and 333 MHz - and there is only one jumper to set speed, so you'd be able to get two 300MHz processors out of your example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back