Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

calling oracle procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinkys

Programmer
Sep 11, 2003
GB
Hi,

I’m having a problem using dblookup to call an oracle procedure.

Historically, the mercator map was using a connecting to the database under the same schema which owns the procedure, and the procedure was called using the unqualified procedure name.

Now, as part of a security project, we have to run the map under a different oracle user. It now seems that I need to qualify the procedure name with the schema otherwise a ORA-04043 – object does not exist error is returned. Also note that a public synonym exists for the procedure with the unqualified name.

However I can happily run the procedure successfully from sqlplus logged in with the same user as the mercator map, but without qualifying the procedure name.

I don’t want to change all of our maps to qualify procedure names and I don’t see that I should have to when it works unqualified from sqlplus.

Does anyone know why dblookup appears to require a qualified name, and if there is any way I can run with this set up without having to update all of our maps to qualify all procedure and function names?

When you change schemas or add security, this is what happens. Can you call the public synonym? That might also require a fully qulified name too. We do not use the exect same API as SQLPLus, there are many things built into SQLPLus that seem not to be available to the external API.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back