Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling Netscape mail from filemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtmiller

Programmer
Sep 16, 2005
US
Running Filemaker Pro 7
Need to build a program that calls e-mail and passes
a value into the "To:" field. I have gotten it to the point where it will access whatever e-mail I have open at the time but will not populate the "To:" field.

Ideally I would like it to call the default mail program (Microsoft, Netscape, Mozilla etc) and pass the value of the
To field.

It would seem to me that a good solution would be calling a Java function but not sure how to do that either.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

I've used the send mail script many times, the only problem I see is if I have no actual e-mail address in the "To" field, it won't open or send anything. I use field contents for setting the fields in the send mail script.
Don

You could also try using "Send Event" with a syntax like this:

mailto:George@SpacelySprockets.com?subject=I%20Need%20A%20Raise

This should open up your default email client, insert "George@SpacelySprockets" into the TO field and insert "I Need A Raise" into the subject line.

I like to use this method rather than Send Mail because it will insert my default signature into body of the message. FYI, I'm using FM7 on Windows XP and standard Outlook.

In the syntax above you will notice "%20" (without the quotes) where spaces normally occur. You will need do this otherwise it won't work properly.

-Striker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back