Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

calling msiexec.exe from a service

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMar

Programmer
Jul 17, 2002
US
From within a service I am attempting to fork off a msiexec command (using createprocess) that will do a silent install. What I have noticed in my attempts are the following:
1. With the service running under the localsystem account, the msiexec process will fail and report error #1603 [a fatal error occured during installation] and MSI error number 2103 [could not resolve path for shell folder].
2. With the service running using an admin user account msiexec command finishes successfully.

It would seem that since the localsystem account does not have access to shell resources and thus cannot run msiexec? Has anyone successfully been able to call msiexec from a service that is using the localsystem account?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Gabe

Figured it out! If you are using localsystem privledges then you need to add the a property that will define what group of users the msiexec command will install to:
Adding the property "ALLUSERS=1" to the msiexec command line allowed the msiexec to successfully install the application all users while running as a localsystem service. Pretty cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back