Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling directory with multiple country codes for BB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjoetech

Technical User
Sep 12, 2007
US
We have offices in 6 countries and one master call directory database for all to download to their Blackberry. The problem is it only can outdial in the US. Others around the globe have to manually dial the number that appears on their BB display after they lookup the person they want to call. Lets say London wants to call a technician in Germany, he looks up the number in his BB database, then has to remember it (or write it down). Then manually dial it.

The U.S. user looks up a number in his Blackberry, highlights it, then presses call button. I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but does anyone know if there is a global software that can be bought for Blackberrys that will allow each country to have their own dialing codes installed into their phones? It would be nice to produce a lookup on incoming calls as well.

Thanks so much,

Joe

I presume you have the 'Phone Options > Smart Dialing' configured for +1 for the country code in the USA. Is it set for each relevant country as well?

Looking at it a different way, why don't you store the phone numbers in the database that they download to their device, with the country codes included? So a UK phone number would begin +44 and a German number would be +49. You don't need the leading zero for domestic calls in most countries if you have the + sign in front of the country code. The device will (should) dial the number straight from there. That's how I store all phone numbers in my contacts and it doesn't matter where in the world I am, the phone dials any number fine.

Regards
jpaf

OK thanks. You have very been helpful thus far. Suppose I am a UK user, would I set my Phone option for +44? Then, what would I put in the contact for a US number? Would it be 1 area code and 7 digit number?

My goal is still to utilize one database directory for the entire worldwide corporation to download from, that will allow all users around the world to be able to dial their blackbery from? This is my tough question to figure out.

Yes, a UK user should have the Smart Dialing Country Code set to +44 and a German user should have it set to +49 etc etc

A non-US user would have to be dialing +1 for any North American number. So if you were looking at amending your database, all NA users should have +1 in front of their phone number. For instance when I call someone in New York their number is formatted like this +1 718 xxx xxxx

Regards
jpaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back