Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling Crystal Report from .NET is very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeforest

Programmer
Nov 9, 2006
CA
I am buidling a .NET app which will take parameters from users and pass to a crystal report, at the end the crystal report will be export as PDF format. The strange thing is, if i test the Crystal Report via CR 2008 then the report with the same parameters can be brought up quickly in PDF from the webpage, but if i change any parameters from the website the Crystal Report will take forever to upload.

How can i improve the performance when dynamicly choose the parameters?

Another strange thing is, after i change the parameter looks like the Crystal Report shows result from a previous version of design. e.g. I changed the package on Oracle but the report doesnt reflected the change at all.

In your report, turn off "Save Data With Report" (do this on the File menu in Crystal, I'm not sure where it's at in Visual Studio.) This will resolve your second issue.

When delivering reports in a web page, the report has to be rendered as HTML - this is at least part, if not all, of what's causing your report to be slower on the website.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Thanks Dell!

My second issue becoming a bigger one now, the .NET CR presents data from a previous version of Oracle Stored Procedure result, which has been deleted and proved in CR2008 (Report opened in CR2008 picks up the latest version of the sp). I tried to take off "Save Data with Report" , it didnt help.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

Try going to the database menu and selecting Verify Database. If that doesn't work, go to the database menu and select Set Location, create a new connection to the existing database and select the new stored procedure. Be sure to save the report when you're done. Although I've not had issues with this, I've seen a number of posts in various forums about Crystal not picking up changes to stored procedures.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back