Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling BIOS function for DMI / SMBIOS information

Status
Not open for further replies.

FryeWare

Programmer
Apr 11, 2003
US
I'm trying to write a Windows application to detect and display motherboard manufacturer and model number. I'm trying to obtain this information through DMI / SMBIOS. This application needs to run on all versions of Windows from Win9X through WinXP. I've read all the DMI / SMBIOS specs and learned that there are basically two mechanisms I need to use for obtaining DMi / SMBIOS data. More recent versions support a table access method which I know how to do. The problem I'm having is with systems that only support earlier DMI 2.0. This version only supports a function access method which basically means I need to make a call to a BIOS function from a Win32 GUI application. Does anyone have any tips for how I do this?

Do I use a DLL? If so, is it 16 or 32 bit? Do I need code to switch to real mode before calling the BIOS function?

DMI 2.0 works by finding a pointer to a structure in the BIOS which contains real mode and protected mode entry pointers. Any tips on how I use these for calling the BIOS function?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back