Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling all Gurus! Registry Backup Assistance Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

veritas7

MIS
May 21, 2001
US
Our tape drive is on our Exchange Server and we have had to revert to NT Backup; problem with Arcserver and Exchange wasnt working (yes we had agent). So I had been, on the PDC, exporting the registry and backing it up.

I have been told this won't work!(wont work as genuine backup) That the hive is locked. So, tonight, I made a new ERD for the PDC by doing:
start, run, rdisk /s

I also got the NT resource kit util and used regback.exe from the command line.

I am most concerned that the SAM will be recoverable since that is where the Exchange Service Account is. All other accounts can be made again, but as I understand it, Exchange will be looking for the old SID of the service account.

Would someone please let me know if I have a decent interim solution in place?

Thank you for taking the time to read all of this!

Kenneth

if you run a full rdisk /s- you will have a copy of the SAM
(files will be put in c:\winnt\repair)
If you boot with the install disks of NT, and choose 'repair', then insert the repair disk and you should be able to restore the SAM
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

why doesn't arcserve with exchange agent work though??

Is this Arcserve 2000?

We use it just fine on NT4 BDC which is running Exchange 5.5 SP4.. as I'm sure many people do.

There are a series of service packs for ArcServe which may be useful in solving your problem as to get ArcServe working again... I think there are a series of hot fixes too which fix issues like taking hours to back up the registry on certain setups. Check the Comp Assoc internet site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back