Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling All CCNP's

Status
Not open for further replies.

secureinc

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
US
Hello!! I am currently a CCNA and I want to obtain the CCNP certification. So please advise on the follow if possible. What are the best study guides for the "Routing" exam. And what does the exam primarily focus on. Is it anything like the CCNA exam? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Unless you have a photographic memory, I would say you need lab time. You need time with a SET based switch, IOS based switch AND the older 1900 style of IOS.Mostly the first two. Multilayer switching gone over in detail, VLAN creation, VLAN management, basic network architecture and basic routing.

In the Routing test, RIP, EIGRP, OSPF and BGP are covered in detail.. again.. I can not stress the importance of having lab time to practice the commands. You need to know the setup of each and how to view various tables to supply information like which command will show that OSPF is configured properly and communicating. VLSM is covered, route redistributation and policy routing.

In the Remote Accress test.. modems and ISDN are your friends ;-)

I know of people who passed without lab time.. I personally dont know how they did it.. I needed lab time myself and I found it quite helpful when the lab didnt work right and I had to troubleshoot it.

I got a copy of Cisco Academy Semester 5 and the lab companion for the Routing exam.. the labs were very helpful.

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

when taking the routing test make sure you know BGP inside and out. and study how OSPF or EIGRP would act in a BGP enviroment (i got alot of questions like that). lab time helps alot. and for the remote access test you will also need to know frame relay very well (got alot of questions on that).

i found the cisco press books to be of great help. but the sybex and exam cram books missed most of the detailed info needed for the test. but i recommened you take a cisco class if you have time. just having people to bounce cisco "ideas" off of helped me also. pluse you get lab time that way.

Firedragon points out a very good fact. In the cisco books are glossaries at the end of each chapter.. READ THOSE!!! I had two questions lift directly from that information.. No where else did that info appear (Cisco's definition of what is an AS) written the way Cisco writes things..

Might be a good idea to wander over to Borders and buy a cup of coffee and skim the book if you dont want to buy it.

MikeS
Find me at

the previous posts have some good information...

If you could get your hands on a Catalyst 5000 series switch that would help too!

When your preparing for the CCNP exam do NOT leave out 'Building Scalable Cisco Networks'...

that's my two cents

Which brings up yet another point. You need to know how to make VLANs on 2900s and 5000s. You need to know VTP well and the interaction between switches using VTP. I had one question about 1900s menuing so I would toss those in also.

I have free tutorials for the 1900 and 2900 on my site.

They are java based so it doesnt care which browser you use. The tutorial on the 5000 is not done yet.. not enough hours in a day :)

MikeS
Find me at

Just to re-iterate what's been previously stated.....

Know BGP inside and out. Know OSPF and EIGRP. Make sure you know theory and commands. Make sure you are comfortable with VLSM and route redistribution.

Check Cisco's site
for some great info on various routing protocols.

If you are looking for great practice tests, I believe is still around. They are pretty good.

But I want to stress - Hands on is the BEST way to prepare for the tests. It will make life easier if you 'know' the concept rather then have just memorized.
HTH.
Tara CCNP, CCDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back