Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling a Macro From a Cell 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsaliers

Programmer
Jan 23, 2003
US
Here's what I need. I have a target cell A2, a compare cell B2, and a macro call cell C2. To start, A2 = B2. Eventually, B2 will be changed. I want to set up C2 to call a macro I already wrote (&quot;test_macro&quot;) when A2<>B2. I tried the following formula in C2:

=IF(A2<>B2,CALL(&quot;kernel32&quot;,&quot;test_macro&quot;,II))

Not sure if the call function will work, or if the syntax is correct. I couldn't make heads or tails of the help on the CALL_worksheet_function.

Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Jon

Hi,

If your procedures are set up as functions -- is a function returns a single value based on parameter(s) or not from the worksheet...
Code:
=IF(A2<>B2,kernel32,test_macro)
Si if A2<>B2 then function kernel32 will return a value else test_macro will return a value.

:)

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

This is the formula in cell C2:

=IF(A2<>B2,test_macro,&quot;Unchanged&quot;)

Now, if I change cell A2 so A2<>B2, the function test_macro should run. Here is the code for test_macro:

Function test_macro()

Dim targetValue As Integer

'Get target value
targetValue = Range(&quot;A2&quot;).Value

'Message Box telling user the new value of target cell
MsgBox (&quot;The new target value is: &quot; & targetValue & &quot;!&quot;)

'Set Compare cell equal to target cell
Range(&quot;B2&quot;).Value = targetValue

End Function

However, when I change A2 so A2<>B2, the function doesn't run, as the message box doesn't appear, and the text in cell C2 changes from &quot;Unchanged&quot; to &quot;#NAME?&quot;.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Jon

you are not programming the function properly. And what's the point?
Code:
Function test_fn(rng as Range)
   test_fn = rng.value
End Function
you are going to return the value of the referenced cell.???

Again, what's the point?

Skip,

The point is not to return the value of the referenced cell. I merely put that into the macro so I would know if the macro ran properly or not.

The point is that I need to be able to call a macro when the value of a cell changes. I don't want to bog it down by constantly looping another macro, or for that matter the same macro, checking to see if the value has changed. I want to find a way to call the macro/function from the worksheet when the value is changed. Note that the value will not be changed by hand, or I could simply use a button to trigger it every time it changed.

I was using a simplified worksheet and macro/function to get the function call down. Then I will add the real macro functionality.

You CANNOT call a SUB macro from a worksheet.

You CAN call a user-defined macro FUNCTION as per the example I posted that returns a single value in the cell from which it is called.

Skip,

Okay, I must be losing my mind now. This is what I have. A value (default 0) in cell A2, a value (default 0) in cell B2, and a formula in cell C2. There is also a number in cell D2 that shows the number of times there has been a change in cell A2.

I want the formula to run function test_func if A2<>B2. If A2=B2, I want the cell to display the text &quot;UNCHANGED&quot;. Currently, my formula looks like this:

=IF(A2<>B2,test_func,&quot;UNCHANGED&quot;)

I want my function to set cell B2 to the same value as A2, and increment cell D2. This is what my function looks like right now:

Function test_func()

Dim counter As Integer

'Get target value

'Increment the counter cell
counter = Range(&quot;D2&quot;).Value
Range(&quot;D2&quot;).Value = counter + 1

End Function

When I change the value of A2 to 1, cell C2 displays the following text:

&quot;#NAME?&quot;

How can I fix this? Thanks in advance!

Jon

Sorry, the error cell C2 displays is &quot;#VALUE!&quot;

No big deal. Just process the Worksheet_Change event and if the Target includes cells A2 or B2 then do the compare. Call a subroutine when the values don't match.

Skip, good point. But he should be able to &quot;walk back the cat&quot; to see where a user can change a cell and trigger the event. Or if the change is made by another macro, that macro can include a call to the routine.

jsaliers, the thing is, there is no syntax available to implement your idea as expressed (with an IF statement in a cell formula), however you can accomplish you purpose by trapping a Worksheet_Change event for the appropriate cell(s).

Okay, one more time here. I used Skip's idea here. This is the formula in cell C2:

=IF(A2 <> B2,test_func(A2),&quot;Unchanged&quot;)

This is the code I have:

Code:
Function test_func(tv As Range)

Charlie_Macro
    test_func = tv

End Function

Sub Charlie_Macro()

MsgBox (&quot;1&quot;)

'Make Declarations
    Dim counter As Integer

'Get target value

counter = Range(&quot;D2&quot;).Value + 1
    Range(&quot;D2&quot;).Value = counter

End Sub

When I change cell A2 to 1, the message box pops up, then the value of C2(formula cell) goes to #VALUE!, and that is it. SO, it is entering the function, entering the sub, but after the message box, it dies somewhere. When I just run the sub, it works fine, but when I make a change in the sheet, it doesn't update cells B2(compare cell) and D2(count cell).

The place that your function craters is
Code:
It is a NO NO to change a value OUTSIDE of the function.

What you want to do cannot be done with a function.

As Zathras states, it can be dome using the worksheet change event calling the charlie_macro procesure.

Skip,

Thank you both for your help. I obviously am not doing something correctly, because it still is not working. I set up the Worksheet_Change event, and called the Charlie_Macro, but it doesn't trigger when I change the value of A2, or any other cell for that matter. I don't know what the problem is. In case you see what I am doing wrong, here is my code:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Call Charlie_Macro

End Sub

Sub Charlie_Macro()

MsgBox (&quot;1&quot;)

'Make Declarations
    Dim counter As Integer

'Get target value

counter = Range(&quot;D2&quot;).Value + 1
    Range(&quot;D2&quot;).Value = counter

End Sub

Thanks again guys.

Jon

Alright, now I am a little lost. Both the change event and the macro are in a module called TestFunctions. But by the way your response was worded, it sounded as if the macro is supposed to be in a module, while the event is supposed to be in the worksheet object????

If this is the case, I have not the slightest idea how to put an event into the worksheet object. As a matter of fact, I am not sure I understand what you mean by worksheet object.

Jon

BTW,

You are going to experience a recursive change with your code.

add this in the change event
Code:
  application.EnableEvents =false
    Call Charlie_Macro
  application.EnableEvents =true
End Sub

Skip,

oh and I'd add something else, too
Code:
  Application.EnableEvents = False
    Set rng = Application.Intersect(Target, Union(Range(&quot;A2&quot;), Range(&quot;B2&quot;)))
    If Not rng Is Nothing Then Charlie_Macro
  Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Skip,

Easiest way:

From the worksheet:
1. Right-click on the sheet tab.
2. Choose &quot;View Code&quot;.
3. Observe that Excel automatically put a skeleton SelectionChange event handler macro for you. (Delete it. If you need it later, you can easily put it back.)
4. From the combo box in the upper-right hand area of the window, select &quot;Change&quot;
5. Follow Skip's instructions above.

Alternate way:
1. Alt-F11 to open VBA editor.
2. Double-click &quot;Sheet1&quot; in the project explorer. (Ctrl-R if the project explorer isn't showing.)
3. Select &quot;Worksheet&quot; from the left-hand combo box at the top of the window.
4. Select the event to trap from the right-hand combo box at the top of the window.
5. Follow Skip's instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back