Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling a COM object inside ASP using 100% CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdon1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
Hi everybody,

I am calling a COM object inside of ASP using the CreateObject method. This particular COM+ dll is something that was written by someone else (Freely available API COM interfaces).

Well the first time the ASP runs, it is fine, the 2nd time through, the server uses up 100% CPU, and the ASP page doesnt' go through ( I am assuming the CreateObject caused this).
the dllhost.exe is hogging all the CPU . I am running of Windows 2000 Server with sp 2.

Any ideas why this would happen.

I tried calling the same object from a regular VBA in Excel it is fine, have no problems with CPU etc.

Thanks for your help

Could it be that the com object's reference is not being released?

Could it be that a server side object is doing something?

Well here is the situation, I am explicitly destroying the object by obj = Nothing in the VBscript,

Since the COM object is a 3rd party object, I am not sure what is happening to it in the inside.

And I can see that the dllhost.exe hits the 99% CPU usage just when I am doing the login into the server object and not when the object gets created .

e.g
set obj = CreateObject("Application.Server")
obj.Login "Servername", "user", "pwd" --> the 2nd time through this is causing the overhead usage.

Unfortunately the 3rd party COM object doesn't have a Logout method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back