Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caller ID question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsak

MIS
Mar 5, 2003
US
We have several blocks of DID numbers, and I know though my Opt 51c I can pulse out the number of the DID. Am I correct in saying that the phone company (SW Bell) does the actual name part of it?
We recycle DID numbers when we get new attorneys, and I change their name in our phone system, but when they call a home or company with Caller ID, what shows on the persons Caller ID name wise unit will be whatever the phone company (bell) has listed for that number, and not what I have set in the switch. Is this correct? Or is there a setting that I need to set in the switch somewhere to send out what I have in the CPND?

Thanks have a happy new years! :)
=jsak

The phone company provides the name associated with the block of DID's

Also, if you attach the wrong CLID table to your non-DID DNs, you will send some other company's name.

Yes, your right. The phone company sends the name, you only provide the number when using PRI spans to the telco.

Just to be nit-picky, the name is not 'sent', it is 'retrieved' by the far end. But what they retrieve is the information programmed by the C/LEC that provides your DID service. The calling party 'number' is 'sent' with the call setup, and the 'name' is retrieved by the receiving telco if they have a billing arrangement with the 'originating' telco. (This is why sometimes the correct number will show, but with a 'name unavailable')

I am in Bell Canada territory and we send out name and DID number - the number is taken from the CLID table and the name is taken from LD 95. The company doesn't like this and would prefer to send out the individual number and a company name. We have been told that this isn't possible. The telco will block the name for us, but if they send the name, they take the name from LD 95 in the PBX.

If this is a Telco issue, perhaps I should be escalating at Bell rather than Nortel - but even Nortel has told me that this isn't possible and they may include this product enhancement in 2005.

I forgot to mention that Canada is different than the US. The ISDN protocols in Canada do use what's in the PBX, a lot like avaya-to-avaya calls even accross the PSTN will show the 'pbx' name. I think they use additional information elements in the ss7 setup messages.

Bear with me, I'm new at this stuff.

Okay. So, it appears that the LEC has the master table of names that are retrieved by the receiving party.

Does that mean that my 11c could do the same? Could I configure the 11c to retrieve the calling party name from my LEC and have it display on my Meridian 39xx phones? What is "stuff" would I'd ask my LEC to provide? How would I configure my 11c to do the retrieval?

mike

I think the original poster was talking about 'sending' CallerID.

If you're running PRI with NI-2 and one of the 25.xx flavors i think it will work. Take a look at:

thread798-491290

Thanks,

I'm still a little confused. The earlier posts suggest that the number is sent first and then I'd have to send the number back to the LEC to get the name. However, the link you sent me suggested that my LEC sends both name and number.

I know I have a PRI but the term "NI-2" is new to me. Is this some flavor of PRI or some sort of option that I pay the LEC to provide beyond a basic PRI or a special Nortel card?

mike

Some second thoughts. Do you mean NI as in "Network Interface Unit" a.k.a. "Smart-Jack"?

mike

I've been mixing 'general' explanations with PBX specific ones. And I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert, I've just run into it a lot on troubleshooting.

In the regualar POTS world (i.e. service at home), if the originator of the call is using equipment that is capable of sending Calling Party Number, that information is sent to the terminating end with the call setup message. If the receiving telco central office is capable of doing name retrieval, and it has a billing relationship set up with the telco that serves the originating number, the receinvg central office does a database lookup to retrieve the name from the far end.

In the PBX world, if the terminating equipment (CO and customer PBX) have compatible software and configuration, the terminating CO will do the database lookup and send the name to the customer PBX with the call setup. The exact mechanics of this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but that's the gist.

On the Nortel side, the above thread should apply. There are many flavors of ISDN-PRI protocol: Nortel custom, Avaya Custom 4ess, 5ess, National 1, National 2, just to name a few. It is my understanding that on Nortel equipment, name is only available using the NI-2 protocal (national 2) along with Release 25.xx (as referenced in that thread) with appropriate settings in both the customer PBX and the telco central office.

Does that make it any clearer?

Thanks jgideon,

That makes a lot more sense. It explains a lot of things. So, I guess I need to talk to my LEC and see if they can support NI-2 protocol. This could be really, really cool. Finally a reason to have these 39xx phones other than to see my co-workers name appear. When Ed McMann calls to tell me that I've won $5,000,000,000 from the Publishers Clearing Warehouse, I'll be able to verify that it truely is Ed calling.

Another technical question (just because I find this interesting). In the PBX world, the Caller-ID rides in the D-Channel but how do they do it at your house? Is the Caller-ID some form of modem that demodulates the name/number? Does the information ride outside of the voice bandwidth or somehow stuffed into the voice band?

mike

pots CallerID equipment listens for an FSK modem signal from the CO between the first and 2nd rings. If you answer during that time, or before the 2nd ring, the ID box usually doesn't get the name/number to display.

Thanks, very interesting.

I'm wondering if the Caller ID shuts off after capturing the data after the first ring? My mind is to wander now. I wonder if you could obtain an old FSK (Bell 202) modem and send a message between the second and third ring? Just imagine the messages you could send. You could send things like "PICK UP NOW"; "I'M WAITING"; "WAKE UP"; etc. Could be fun for a couple of days.

mike

There was a time where non-compliant CallerID equipment would pick up data when it shouldn't. I think it stays active to some degree now, as you can get Caller ID on Call Waiting, but I don't know well enough the mechanics of how that works. I think that the boxes listen for the 'beep', mute the handset speaker, get the CallerID data and then un-mute, but that's just a vague notion in the back of my head somewhere.

Been doing a lot of reading. Some of this stuff makes sense but other stuff is beyond me.

I found the NTP about setting up NI-2. It makes reference to setting the IFC parameter. My manual says that there are three different possible parameters Name1; Name2 and Name3. Do I have a newer manual (or older manual) and it is trying to tell me that there are three different flavors of the same thing?

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back