Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caller ID on secondary line 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyy1023

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
US
Hello,

I have not worked on the Rolm system in some time, 9005.

I have been asked a question in reference to caller ID.

Here is the scenerio:

Call from 555-1234, primary line and has caller ID of 555-5555
Call from 555-5678, second line and has caller ID of 555-5678

How is that set up? Can you have caller ID set up differently for different lines?

For instance, if I am calling a patient I want the caller ID to be the main front desk number and then my second line for internal calls, or if I make internal calls I want to keep it the same way, caller ID of main number and secondary line can display the actual line number.

CCNA, CCNP

When I do that I type the subscriber 10-digit number that I want reported via Caller-ID. I use ISDN PRI so that may be more flexible as far as what you can get away with.

They would have to make sure they select that secondary line when they dial out if you want that to report different caller-id. I always spoof my caller-id on provider phones to the main clinic number for any primary and phantom lines that are on the phones, just in case.

Thank you donb01, can you explain a little more?

Maybe I need to provide a little more detail.

If my primary line 555-1234, calls an internal number ext. 1212 - it currently shows a caller ID of 555-5555
If my secondary line 555-5678, calls an internal number ext. 1212 - it currently shows the actual number of the secondary line.

How is that set up in the PBX? Is that a class of service, or feature?

CCNA, CCNP

OK, up to now I have found no way to mask my station information from other INSIDE extensions, but I know that on the HiPath 4000 that I can select "Suppress Caller-ID" from the phone and that will block it from everyone (I don't want people knowing the direct numbers to my ACD agents). The big problem with that is some of our customers use AT&T privacy manager and it blocks calls where the CID information is suppressed, so then the nurses can't return calls to the patients. So in most of those cases I will set the "Subscriber ID" in the profile to the main number of the clinic, but inside people will still see their real numbers.

I do have a faint recollection of somebody discussing a parameter on the 4000 that allows you to specify what internal people see when you call them from your phone, but I can't remember where I saw it and I never tried doing it on my system, so I don't know if that is a possibility. I know on most of the other systems there is no way to mess with what the internal callers see - only the outside ones.

Thanks don...your input has been valuable.

I have set these changes on another PBX before more recently via class of service, but that was also based on the route the call took. I was hoping there was an easy solution, answer, that would explain why there are differences so I can duplicate it.

My main line has one cid and the secondary has its own line as the cid. What I don't understand is why.

CCNA, CCNP

When you say lines, are you referring to stations, or trunk lines from the outside? If they are trunks that could be something your provider set up. I have my ISDN PRI set up so that if a station does not have a valid 10-digit number in the subscriber number field then that site will send out the generic central switchboard number for the building. I don't know if you can mess with caller-id on terrestrial trunks other than to have it blocked.

If you have ISDN PRI is it possible that one of your two lines has a valid number in the subscriber number field and the other one doesn't?

What PBX are you doing this on, by the way?

Rolm 9005

no ISDN PRI for this situation, all internal calling for my current testing.

CCNA, CCNP

There is a guy on here that is really good with 9005, but I have been racking my brain trying to remember his name. I think your options might be pretty limited on there. If you are lucky you might be able to suppress the display completely, but I don't know if you will be able to edit it.

Just as an afterthought here, are you talking about the numbers showing up from outside trunk lines on people's phones, or the numbers of other people's phones showing up? The reason I'm asking is that one other slim possibility is that the actual trunk groups in the system usually have names. I usually call mine stuff like "Hospital PRI" or "Clinic CorNet" of "Copper CO", but it's possible someone could have named your trunk group with a number and that's what's showing up for incoming calls - in which case you can edit it....

Otherwise I don't have a solution for you, sorry.

Nothing to do with incoming calls, only outgoing calls from station to station.

What is odd, main line on phone has one cid and the second line on the phone has another cid (the actual ext. assigned to the line).

CCNA, CCNP

Can you print the RP and post it hear, will let you know

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

Ahhh... There you are. I knew you were around but couldn't remember your name - just your signature line!

I don't get much action here anymore so i don't check to often here

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back