Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caller ID Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParkView

Technical User
May 26, 2005
US
I spent quite a while reading all about caller id in this forum yesterday. By looking at my system I am fairly confident that things are configured correctly. However, on external incomming calls I never get name, just number. I monitored my D channels and sure enough I never see any name information. These are ISDN PRIs. When I contact my provider what do I ask them to do so they send me name as well as number? Is this something that is normally just on or are there still CO switches out there that just do not provide name information? Any "big picture" information provided is appreciated.

First, make sure your PRI variant is NI-2. That is the only variant in the US that can provide name. Secondly, if you are NI-2, then call the CO and ask for them to deliver name. Most carriers don't deliver name by default for two reasons. The first is that some CPE equipment chokes when a name is sent. The second is that it costs the carrier money to do a name lookup, so why do it if it isn't asked for? Good luck.

It depends on the provider of the person thats calling. When I call my office wiyh my Florida cell phone, it shows just the number until I answer the phone and then the name FLORIDA appears. Whe my Boss call my phone with his cell phone, it shows his name and number before I answer. I have verizon and he has Sprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back