Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caller ID issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thephonelady

Vendor
Feb 27, 2004
US
Cust has Magix 2.0 V9.0 with 408 GS/LS-ID boards & changed their lines to an AT&T T1 ckt that plugs into a Cisco 2800 device which plugs into a Quintum Tenor AX Series box. The lines come out of the Tenor box as POTS lines. I get caller ID on my test phone (analog caller ID set) but no caller ID on the Magix. Any ideas????? I am getting the No Caller ID on the screen. Thanks in advance.

What's up Angie? The last correspondence we had was in August, and now I'm hurt. :eek:)

Simple starter question: How many rings cycles take place before giving up on CID? Is there more to the story? For example, I'm wondering if--when swung over to the Magix--that these lines are answered immediately by an Automated Attendant.

You have to allow for at least one ring before CID can come through.

Tim Alberstein

Hi- I think you may have me confused with someone else- I think there is a vendor named the phone lady. I use the name because that's what all my customers call me!! BTW my name is Eileen.
No auto attendant on the lines & it goes more than 1 ring & displays No Caller ID on the screen- I wonder if the caller ID format is the issue here- I know that the AVAYA Distributed Office has 3 choices for caller ID. They had caller ID b4 switching the type of lines they have.[ponder]

I just downloaded the user guide for the Tenor AX. A very interesting device to say the least.

Glossing over the document I found nothing about CID, not even in the index or specifications. It can "do" a lot of stuff though. I am wondering what the cost of this set up is, versus a REAL PRI ISDN from AT&T. PRI would certainly be simpler, and CID works without the weird problems caused by VOIP. But I may be jumping to conclusions, not knowing just how this thing is configured. Since AT&T provided the set up, I assume they do the maintenance on it. If that is the case I would contact them for support to find out why it is not passing an acceptable CID signal for the Magix.

....JIM....

Any idea if there is specific "type" of caller ID that the Legend/Magix needs to see???

Caller ID has two flavors. SDMF sends the number only, while MDMF sends both number and name (both use Bell 202 modulation, which Magix understands). DTMF is sometimes used to send the CID, but that technique is pretty rare. Still, I know that consumer phones are often able to decode that type of CID format while PBXs often cannot.

When using your test phone, do you receive name and number or number only? If the name is received, does it appear as "Unavailable", "Private caller" or "Out of area"?

Did either you or Jim come across anything in your reading about SS7 or CLASS features?

Note that the POTS lines must be Loop-Start in order to pass CID.

Tim Alberstein

thephonelady,

I don't know how technically inclined you may be, but here is a link that may provide some info:
Although this may be over your head, the US only has one kind of CID for POTS and it is spelled out in the Telcordia Technical Reference document covering that subject. On a very simplistic level, the CID data burst is sent on the two wire loop start line between the 1st and 2nd ring sequence.

So in relation to the Legend/Magix, when equipped with the appropriate 408 series Module and system software, the Legend/Magix PBX will detect the CID data burst and display the CID as appropriate. As long as it follows the specifications laid out in the Technical Reference the data burst should be decoded by the various phone systems or equipment in general.

Lastly, do you have any updates on the points I brought up in my post above?

....JIM....

If I remember correctly, from one of our customers, AT&T had to write a 'script' for the cisco unit in order for it to send the caller ID (ANI) to the Merlin. They wouldn't tell me what the script was, but it must be in they're tech support 'database', cuz they did say they had this problem before.

Jim,
I'm sorry I don't have any cost info. because we were a third party in this setup. Only doing the phyisical connections & setting up the hardware for AT&T. But they must be sending a type of caller ID not recognized by the Legend because I can see it on my single line caller ID ready test phone.I contacted AT&T & they refer me to Quintum for support. I'll probably contact them this week.
Eileen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back