Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caller ID - Can you have different number appear on external call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapleusa

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
US
One of our end users wants to have a different phone number appear on the caller ID when he makes an external call. For example he wants the person he is calling to see 800-575-9432 on their caller ID instead of his number 555-555-5555. Can someone help me out with this one?

create a CLID with that 800 number as the display. Then assign the CLID number to the phone you want to display the number ie the 555 5555. This CLID will only be used for that phone only

ei assuming you have a PRI and your CO allows individual ANI info to be sent out

Is it also possible to change the name that shows? If not where does the name actually come from?

the name comes from ld 95, prt name, enter down to dn all, short yes. enter.. you'll see all the names in the switch

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

the name goes out on private networks (SL1) ...does it go on public networks as well(CO) ?

No, names do not transmit accross the public network in the US. Calling Party Name is retrieved by the receiving CO by a database lookup. If the receiving telco doesn't have a billing agreement with the originating lec/clec, then no name will display. The number is usually sent forward with a call.

I have yet to see a toll-free number successfully transmit a name. I know of several entities (carriers included) that do send a toll-free number as the Calling Party Number, but I've never had one of those show up with a name.

The only time that the LD95 name is sent 'forward' is in other countries. I've been told that it works in Canada.

Many carriers screen what you transmit and will not allow you to put a toll-free number as CPN. I've argued that with several carriers--even though it's a valid number, and I own it, they still won't do it.

Well I have followed the suggestions, I am in Canada, and the name is not being transmitted but the number is going out fine. The telco says they are passing on whatever we are sending. Is there some way to monitor or see what is being sent with respect to the name, like you can do with enl msgo x for d-channels? Or am I possibly not setting some other value properly.

if your not sending a name in enl msgi, the co is not getting it. that is the only lnk you have for that info.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back