Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caller ID ANI 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosstalker

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
US
Does anyone know how to change the caller id on your companies outbound calls. I know the local phone company plays a part, but you can also determine if your DID, for example (474-3372) shows or if the main 800 to the company shows. I think this is handled through what particular trunk group you are going through? Am I thinking on the right side??

CallerID and ANI are two different things. Outbound calls will show the billing number for the trunk they are using (on non ISDN calls), or the DID of the station, if you're using PRI and it is properly configured. For dedicated trunks to a long distance carrier, if it is a non-PRI trunk, it may show 'unavailable' or a single number as programmed by the carrier, depending on the type of switch and carrier.

Are you using local trunks (switched long distance) or dedicated trunks to a long distance carrier? Are you using PRI or 'plain' T1's? What is your end goal?

Also, what name displays is controlled by the company that provides the DID or trunk, not by the carrier that delivers the call to the far end. Name is also retrieved by the far end throug a database lookup, it is not sent forward with the call.

crosstalker,

You can change your outbound caller ID by using this command

"change isdn public-unknown-numbering"

You can change it for each extension or for blocks of extensions. Here is how I have mine setup (numbers have been changed to protect the innocent)
The "Ext Code" is the digits of the extensions in our dial plan, this includes both DID and Non-DID extensions

The first example is for non-did Extensions:

Extn Ext Trk CPN Total CPN Len
Length Code Groups Prefix
4 79 7601234567 10

This example inserts the last two digits of the callers DID extension into the Caller ID:

4 86 760123 10

This example changes the Caller ID for one extension to a totally different number. We use this for our remote home users on VoIP to give them a "Local Presence" feel.

This will change ext 1234 which would have displayed 760-602-1234 to their local area code: 415-602-1234

4 1234 4156021234 10

Sometimes I change my personal outbound caller ID to fool my friends and display their own number or their spouses number, and pretend I'm them it's fun!! You can test this on your own extension to ensure that it's working the way you want it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back