Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caller ID across T lines 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBXJay

Technical User
Jan 4, 2002
US
Hi,
While I have experience in setting up call flow, hunts, stations etc., I never have had to set up caller ID. Here is what I have so far, any help would be appreciated.

I was told I would need to have PRI added to my current voice T lines. I have done that. They are using the last channel on the last 2 voice Ts to use as a D-channel (and backup). MCI told me if we lose the d-channel, we lose the entire Voice Ts.

I also was told by my Avaya rep that I needed to purchase a software upgrade to allow for ISDN signaling. They said that with T lines the caller ID is carried across the ISDN signaling. I have been looking in the manuals to make sure I can identify all the place I need to make the changes so I can get the ANI digits but I don't think I have them all.

It looks like I have to change the Tie trunk to accept ANI. Also, my trunks are currently set up as Tie under cha trunk X; do I have to change that to ISDN?

I did notice on my system-parameter customer-option that on page 2 they did activate the ISDN-PRI feature.

Do I need to adjust the COR? I saw they have a send ANI for MFE option-

That brought me to the change system-parameters multif command and I see MFE has various options but I am a little shakey on what they do. I am reading up on it now but if any one has had experience I appreciate any input.
Thanks
Jay

hi
after giving change trunk command change the group type to ISDN.also change the service type to tie.

on the 2nd page of change trunk command make following changes.

in the send name field type y.in the send calling number field type y.

i hope it will work for u.
:)
nagesh

I don't know what version of switch you have, however don't forget to create the signal group for the trunks. Older sitches will use a processor interface circuit (G3si)and are more cumbersome to program or TCP/IP for the newer releases. You will also need to know what type of central office the LEC is providing you ISDN from. I will assume ATT5E. The protocol MUST match the LEC's office progrmming. A rough draft of the steps would be as follows.

Remove all members from the trunk.
Remove the DS1 board.
Add the ds1 board back in the the type isdn-pri (it will default to ATT5E for office type)
add the signal group
add the datamodule
check the staus of the signal group. At this point it should be in service. If not you have a mismatch with the LEC's office. You will have to work with them to fix the problem or pay someone to do it for you. Sometime it takes 1 minute and sometime it takes 3 days.

Now add the members back into the trunk group.

status the trunk group a check the status of the trunks. they should be in service refer to the 2 steps above.
ISDN can be a real pain. This is in no way a precise document on how to implement PRI in a Definity, but it does cover the high spots. Hope it helps and good luck

Thanks

Chris
Hope this helps

Thanks Chris,
I had missed the add signaling group and I am not sure about the data mod part. I had set up the signaling with the telco company to be ATT they gave me NTP and NI2 as the other options but Lucent recommended ATT signaling.--With my luck changing that would have taken 3 day+ not 1 minute.

With the DS1 board, do I only need to modify the board carrying the d-channel? Or will I need to modify all the DS1 since I am trying to get the ANI digits? I see on the signaling group form that there is a part for the Primary channel, and it lets you choose the board.

Thanks.

You will need to modify the board and the signal group. By removing all the trunk group members, removing the DS1 board and them adding it back in. You will setup the correct signaling. The DS1 board must be a TN767 or TN464 type circuit pack. When you add the signal group select channel 24 on the signal group form (IE: DS1 Board location 01A10, signal group entry would be 01A1024). Hope this helps

Thanks

Chris

My DS1 cards are up to date I have a mix of both the TN767 and TN464 types. My question actually was do I need to modify all my DS1 boards? I have 6 cards. All my T lines are bonded from the network side so incoming calls hunt through all channels. (We are getting redundancy via alternative carrier soon) We will be carrying the PRI signaling on all T lines but have only picked two Ts to have the d-channel. (I have been told a d-channel can handle PRI for up to either 10 or 20 T lines. Each T will not have one.

Thanks Clausen
-Jay

Your right, you will have to reprogram all your DS1 boards and reprogram them to ISDN. I would put the D-Channels on the TN464 boards. I would obviously get one DS1 with a D-Channel up and flying before I attempted to add other DS1 boards to the trunk group. The DS1 boards that are going to carry the D-Channels will be setup up as ISDN-PRI in the DS1 form. The DS1 boards that will only carry B-Channel traffic will need to be setup as ISDN-EXT. When you create the signal group the first field is Associated Signaling. Change it to a yes and it will open the rest of the form for you non D-Channel DS1 boards. Put in the DS1 board location of the appropriate(sp) boards into the form. Make SURE the interface ID matches what the provdier has set on their end, they MUST match. They usually use the first DS1 as interface ID 0, next 1 etc... Just make sure you ask them what the ID is for each of the DS1's you have by circuit number. Once again if the interface ID does not match with what the provider programmed the channels will not come up and be active. You will pound your head on the floor, curse, yell, and slam the nearest object to the floor on this one (lost many a good coffee cup this way). I guess you get the picture that it is important and will save you a great deal of time trouble shooting. Hope all goes well for you and good luck! Hope this helps

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,
I just got off the phone with Definity help line. I needed to confirm everything just to make sure we wouldn't have any problems. (My job could be at risk-know what I mean?) Every thing you mentioned was dead on right. The only thing different that they suggested was instead of making the Service Type on the trunk group for Tie to change it to CDC, the tech said it was a little more forgiving in call to call mode. Any input on it? Thanks again for all the help. I really don't want to talk to the network integration center. Have a good one.
Jason

Last night wasn't a total disaster but I had to put everything back to the way it was. The hot cut failed. I was able to get the signaling goup up and when I did a status, the primary D was working and the back up was in stand by. I added the two DS1 boards in to the signaling group first followed by a board that would be only b channels. I went to the trunk group and added in the memebers-I wasn't sure which members had to be added in first or if it didn't matter so I added in the ds1board that only had b channels first. They came up as active-idle, but I was unable to place a facility test call out through that T. Is PRI different? The facility test call worked when it was just a regular voice T 24 channels. I also had some problems with MCI. I remember Chris stating I would need A signaling in the DS1 boards. MCI recommended C signaling for my definity. I tried it the way chris suggested first and even though my T came up with active-idle, the MCI tech stated that the D channel was locked up. When I swapped the signaling to C mode, I didn't see any difference on the PBX side but he said the d channel freed up. The other thing I was confused on was if I had to associate a trunk group with the signaling group. I tried it both ways and it didn't work well. Also the Lucent rep I had spoken to suggested asynch under the signaling group since I had a primary and a secondary d channel. I tried that too. Also, he suggested CBC vs TIE for the trunk type. Any help would be appreciate.
Jason

Natoli,

If the MCI tech asked you to change the type in the DS-1 form from A to C then he is providing you dialtone via a Nothern Telcom DMS office. AS I had mentioned above I had assumed a ATT5E office. This does make a big difference. It must match what the provider is sending you. Also CBC is a better selection than TIE for service type.

When building the signal group you put the location of all associated DS1 boards, with this signal group, in the signal group form. Because you have now associated a DS-1 board location with a signal group you do not need to specify the signal group number in the trunk group form, the software will remember and put in the appropraite entry. Read the note above on Jan 11 and make sure the entries are correct. Numbering format sent to the provider can make the difference if the call will route or not. This is set in the ARS analysis tables. All the MCI folks I have worked with are very helpful. Ask them to monitor the trunks and tell you why they are rejecting the call.

Also you cannot use a facility access test code to test ISDN circuits. The only method to test, unless you have a protocol analizer handy, is to place test calls and trouble shoot accordingly. Hope this helps

Chris

Natoli

i m sending u my working configuration of ISDN PRI.plz check it with urs and tell me whether it was useful to you or not.

My TRUNK GROUP CONFIGURATION HERE

display trunk-group 12 Page 1 of 22 SPE A
TRUNK GROUP

Group Number: 12 Group Type: isdn CDR Reports: y
Group Name: OUTSIDE CALL COR: 10 TN: 1 TAC: 9012
Direction: two-way Outgoing Display? n
Dial Access? y Busy Threshold: 255 Night Service:
Queue Length: 0
Service Type: tie Auth Code? n TestCall ITC: rest
Far End Test Line No:
TestCall BCC: 4
TRUNK PARAMETERS
Codeset to Send Display: 6 Codeset to Send National IEs: 6
Max Message Size to Send: 260 Charge Advice: automatic
Supplementary Service Protocol: a Digit Handling (in/out): enbloc/enbloc

Trunk Hunt: ascend
Digital Loss Group: 13
Calling Number - Delete: Insert: Numbering Format: pub-unk
Bit Rate: 9600 Synchronization: async Duplex: full
Disconnect Supervision - In? y Out? n
Answer Supervision Timeout: 0

display trunk-group 12 Page 2 of 22 SPE A
TRUNK FEATURES
ACA Assignment? n Measured: both Wideband Support? n
Internal Alert? n Maintenance Tests? y
Data Restriction? n NCA-TSC Trunk Member: 12
Send Name: y Send Calling Number: y
Used for DCS? n
Suppress # Outpulsing? y Numbering Format: public
Outgoing Channel ID Encoding: preferred UUI IE Treatment: service-provider
Charge Conversion: 1
Decimal Point: none Replace Restricted Numbers? n
Currency Symbol: Replace Unavailable Numbers? n
Charge Type: units Send Connected Number: n

Send UCID? n
Send Codeset 6/7 LAI IE? n Ds1 Echo Cancellation? y

US NI Delayed Calling Name Update? n

Network (Japan) Needs Connect Before Disconnect? n

TRUNK GROUP
Administered Members (min/max): 1/22
GROUP MEMBER ASSIGNMENTS Total Administered Members: 22

Port Code Sfx Name Night Sig Grp
1: 01C1201 TN2464 4
2: 01C1202 TN2464 4
3: 01C1203 TN2464 4
4: 01C1204 TN2464 4
5: 01C1205 TN2464 4
6: 01C1206 TN2464 4
7: 01C1207 TN2464 4
8: 01C1208 TN2464 4
9: 01C1209 TN2464 4
10: 01C1210 TN2464 4
11: 01C1211 TN2464 4
12: 01C1212 TN2464 4
13: 01C1213 TN2464 4
14: 01C1214 TN2464 4
15: 01C1215 TN2464 4

TRUNK GROUP
Administered Members (min/max): 1/22
GROUP MEMBER ASSIGNMENTS Total Administered Members: 22

Port Code Sfx Name Night Sig Grp
16: 01C1217 TN2464 4
17: 01C1218 TN2464 4
18: 01C1219 TN2464 4
19: 01C1220 TN2464 4
20: 01C1221 TN2464 4
21: 01C1222 TN2464 4
22: 01C1223 TN2464 4

My sig group goes here

display signaling-group 4 Page 1 of 5 SPE A
SIGNALING GROUP

Group Number: 4
Associated Signaling? y Max number of NCA TSC: 31
Primary D-Channel: 01C1216 Max number of CA TSC: 31
Trunk Group for NCA TSC: 12
Trunk Group for Channel Selection: 12
Supplementary Service Protocol: a

My DS1 Configuration goes here

DS1 CIRCUIT PACK

Bit Rate: 2.048 Line Coding: hdb3

Signaling Mode: isdn-pri
Connect: pbx Interface: network
CentreVu Long Timers? n Country Protocol: 1
Interworking Message: PROGress Protocol Version: a
Interface Companding: alaw CRC? n
Idle Code: 11111111
DCP/Analog Bearer Capability: 3.1kHz

Slip Detection? n Near-end CSU Type: other

One thing I found out the hard way that you can't forget, When you go and move T-1 cards around make sure you check the Synchronization. If you don't any time you have a data (modem) call it will drop, voice will work sometimes. To do this "ch sychronization" make sure its on a good T-1. So many buttons so little time
Thanks All
Phoneman2

Thanks for sending all the configs,nageshpai, mine is set up a little differently asynch in the signaling group due to the 2 d channels...
Thanks for everybodys help here on the tip boards. I got my PRI lines up and running, I was no longer able to use verify button on the phone to test the ISDN line but checked that calls were going through via a temp trunk group. Turns out that it was set up correctly on Friday night. GRRRRR. I can only plead the fact that I had the flu for the excuse that my brain wasn't working. I still am not collecting ANI yet... but will hash that out tomorrow. Right now I trying to get MCI to fix the fact that one of my Ts was down on cut over... It worked Friday.... not today. They have a bad port on their DACs.. last time I heard that my frame was down a week. They claim they can speedily fix it. Ironically enough that T connects to the only different card 464 vs a 767 card.

Just an update---
They got that T working--took 3 hours. Found out Today it went down hard. That was only a temporary patch on the wiring. My carrier unilatterally decided it would be fine for them to work on that T and disrupt my service during business hours. Now my PRI Ts are functioning fine but I found out the reason why it is not collecting ANI...
My carrier account rep forgot to add that little ANI part to my order when he wrote up the PRI order. I had explicitly told him I needed PRI for Caller ID.

-Jay

One thing I forgot to mention during our hot cut from regular T to PRI T that might be helpful for somebody else.
The only step that wasn't mentioned (and was no big deal) was that I had to do a change synchronization command and change the primary to another ds1 board while I removed it and recreated it as a ISDN T. I was then able to return the primary synch setting back to the original board.
-Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back