Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call waiting capability on ATA2 or i-ATA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sroggero

Technical User
Sep 2, 2007
CA
Is it possible on an ATA to setup call waiting for either I/C than incoming Lines.

Basically what I would need it to get the Beep Beep while we are oncall on an analog phone. I tried to remove DND on busy feature but it still says busy when I call the extension.

Thanks guys

The ATA has two intercom paths, like a 7100 digital set. It should allow to process two calls.

The ATA has feature codes to enable and disable tones, including the Call Waiting tone. I can't remember which one enables the tones and which one disables the tones, so you may want to try them both:

Link *809
Link #809​

That being said, I am not sure that Call Waiting alerts for an incoming internal call, but it should definitely alert for an incoming external call. Of course, DND on Busy must be set to No in programming.

I have to disagree with your whole post, sorry dude.

"Process 2 calls"
ATA allows you to conference calls (1 in and 1 out) and not accept another incoming internal call or an external call on another line.
ATA'a are considered as "Single Line Device"

"The ATA has feature codes to enable and disable tones"
Those codes are for long or short codes, if you want to disable tones then don't press any buttons.

"but it should definitely alert for an incoming external call."
Not so at all.

The only way you can get call waiting is if you have a private line with the call waiting feature from the carrier and the 2nd caller calls that private line to which you activate the carriers feature request which is LINK/FLASH (F71 on digital sets).

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

I have to disagree with me too partially, lol.

I was thinking short and long tones 808, forgetting you turn off tones for data devices.
Regardless these settings wont help unless private line as described.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

You don't have to be sorry, curlycord. You posted first; I didn't expect you to agree. Yet, I am sure we can discuss it and find out what the ATA is actually capable of.

I remember having tested this scenario on an ATA a few years ago. It worked as I describe here. Maybe sroggero can give it a try and tell us if it also works for him.

In the meantime, let me further explain my position.

curlycord said:
ATA allows you to conference calls (1 in and 1 out) and not accept another incoming internal call or an external call on another line.

I never used the Conference feature on an ATA, so I won't argue.

curlycord said:
ATA'a are considered as "Single Line Device"

In the sense that we attach a single-line device to an ATA. If we were to attach a two-lines analog phone to an ATA, the second line wouldn't work. I think we agree on that.

However, the system provides two paths to make and receive calls, and the ATA can use them. There is an example below.

curlycord said:
The only way you can get call waiting is if you have a private line with the call waiting feature from the carrier and the 2nd caller calls that private line to which you activate the carriers feature request which is LINK/FLASH (F71 on digital sets).

I agree with that, except for the part where it says "the only way"... ;-)

For the system, ATAs are very similar to 7100 digital sets.

In programming, you could set up a 7100 to ring for Line 001 and Line 002. In programming, you could set up an ATA to ring for Line 001 and Line 002, too. Line 001 and Line 002 don't have to be private. They can be public and they can even be assigned to other sets.

On a 7100, if you are connected to Line 001, the set will ring to alert of an incoming call on Line 002. On a ATA, if you are connected to Line 001, the ATA will send a tone (namely, the Call Waiting tone) to alert of an incoming call on Line 002.

On a 7100, to answer Line 002, you press the Hold button. On an ATA, to answer Line 002, you dial Link 2.

On a 7100, when the Held Line Reminder feature is turned on and Line 001 is still on hold, the set beeps. On an ATA, when the Held Line Reminder feature is turned on and Line 001 is still on hold, the ATA sends a tone (namely, the Held Line Reminder tone).

And, for the record, from an ATA, you would have to dial Link *71 to be connected to the second call on a line that offers the Call Waiting feature from the CO.

curlycord said:
Regardless these settings wont help unless private line as described.

In case anyone wonders, we are talking about the Tones feature of the ATA, here.

If the tones are turned off, well, the ATA never sends them. Even if there is no tone, the second call is still waiting. You can pick it up by dialing Link 2. For instance, you could be alerted of the second call by an auxiliary ringer.

ATAs are usually attached to an answering machine, a fax machine, a modem or a point of sale terminal. We turn the tones off because they sometimes interfere with these devices. Also, these devices don't put calls on hold and they don't handle multiple calls at once, making it another reason to turn the tones off.

you could set up an ATA to ring for Line 001 and Line 002, too. Line 001 and Line 002 don't have to be private. They can be public and they can even be assigned to other sets."

When I say private I am giving more an example of 1 lines on its own.
In other words if you have rollover lines and you are on line 1 and line 2 rings, you will not get Call Waiting.
If you are on any line and somebody Intercoms you then you will not get Call Waiting/
I believe this is what sroggero was asking about.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

I was convinced that the ATA could do this. I had a chance to test it out today and it turns out that it works great.

[ol 1]
[li]I attached an analog phone to the ATA.[/li]

[li]I ensured that DND on Busy was set to No.
I went to Terminals & Sets > [242] > Capabilities > DND on Busy: No[/li]

[li]I ensured that the tones were turned on.
I picked up the handset, I dialed Link *809, I got a confirmation tone, I hung up.[/li]

[li]I made a call.
I picked up the handset, I dialed 9 for line pool A, I dialed a number, I stayed on the line.[/li]

[li]I had someone else call extension 242 from his set.
I heard the Call Waiting tone from the ATA, I dialed Link 2, I got connected to the internal call.[/li]
[/ol]

The set that was calling the ATA displayed the usual "On another call" message, but the caller heard ringing.

I also tested external calls and transferred calls, and I had the Call Waiting tone from the ATA, too. Then, I tried all over again with an incoming call instead of an outgoing call: same thing.

I noticed that the Call Waiting tone follows the usual cadence. That is, I heard "beep-beep" every six seconds for external calls and I heard "beep-beep, beep-beep" every six seconds for the internal calls and the transferred calls.

So, to get back to sroggero's question, the display shows "Busy" when all the Intercom buttons are in use. On the ATA, it would mean that the two paths are in use.

Do you need to dial the link *809 everytime you use the phone or just once to turn it on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back