Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Visual Basic routine from C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malachi

Programmer
Aug 13, 2001
US
I am a complete newbie to Visual Basic. I have experience in C and have a C application from which I need to call routines written in Visual Basic and vice-versa. It's been suggested to me to use "Automation" (which I believe was called OLE some time ago). Unfortunately, Automation allows me to call C subroutines only if the C library is available in a DLL. My library is a static library. Is there a way to call C subroutines in a static library from Visual Basic v6.0?

On the other hand, my C application should call some Visual Basic v6.0 subroutines ( string passing may be troublesome ). Does VB60 allow access to it's subroutines? Also, can VB be written without using a User Interface? Most of the books I've perused exclude good old text based VB programming, forcing me to use the IDE which in turn produces a Form with Controls.

Hints and help would be appreciated. The books I've purchased are "Learn to Program with Visual Basic 6" by John Smiley and "Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Step by Step" by Michael Halvorson. I'm also using the MSDN documentation, but find it confusing to navigate when I'm unsure of the keywords and language syntax for the particular language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back