Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call VB 6.0 dll or function from Stored Procedure in MS SQL Server 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottman2

Programmer
Jun 26, 2001
US
I'm migrating my databases from MS Access 2000 to MS SQL Server 7.0, but I also want to move my functions that currently exist in MS Access Modules, because the process is too slow from Access and with a Stored Procedure I can schedule it at night as well. I was approaching the idea of creating my functions in Visual Basic 6.0, then creating a dll, then call the function from a Extended Stored Procedure. Does everyone know the process or the code required to do this?

Hi there,
You need to create dll using the Open Data Services concept. And then add the functions of that dll through sp_addextendedproc.

check the BOL for sp_addextendedproc and related topics.

That was helpful, I created my Extended Stored Procedure.
Question:
Where should I keep my dll? Or is it ok, to use Enterprise manager to point my Extended Stored Procedure to the location on a LAN drive?

I'm trying to use my new Extended Stored Procedure function in a view, but it will not find the function. It comes up with ODBC...function not found.

I tried testing my dll by calling it from another VB program. I also was able to call my function from MS Access.

xp_proper_case is the name of my stored procedure and the name of the function.

Here is what my code in my view looks like.
SELECT SSNO, DIV, DEPT_LOCATION, STATUS_CODE, LAST_NAME,
FIRST_NAME, xp_proper_case(FIRST_NAME)
AS P_first
FROM tbl_associates

Hi there,
Sorry for a late reply (because of holidays)!
Just make sure to do the following:
You should put your dlls in the MSSQL\BINN directory.
Must add the procedure in master database.
Grant execute rights to proper user(s)/group(s).

And, remember that these are just procedures. I don't think you can use these as functions in SQL 7.0 or lower.

Hi Raj,

I am a new memeber. I have created a sample extended procedure based on your thoughts/steps.

My VB (DLL File) contain following coding.

Public Function UpperCase(xInpStr As String) As String
UpperCase = UCase$(xInpStr)
End Function

I saved this DLL (DemoDLL.dll) in mssql\binn directory.

Afterthat, I was created a Extended procedure.

USE master
EXEC sp_addextendedproc xp_UpperCase, 'DemoDLL.dll'

Successfully created it.

I was tryed to use this x_procedure,

Select xp_UpperCase(Tsth_Desc) From TestHd

error raised. Error message is,

Server: Msg 195, Level 15, State 10, Line 1
'xp_UpperCase' is not a recognized function name.

Thanks and Regards,
Rafiq.

Hi Rafiq,
I think i were unable to explain the concept of adding extended stored procedure.
I am afraid, but the dll created by you can not be used to execute procedures in SQL server.

Please Go through this thread, it will help you understand about adding / creating such dlls.

UpperCase function is exactly the type of functions I want to use in MS SQL 7.0. From the comments from rajeevnandanmishra I will not be able to use these functions created in VB. Can I create something to be used in MS SQL 7.0?

can anyone give me proper steps for creating EXTENDED STORED PROCEDURE IN SQL SERVER USING VB DLL.I tried with creating extended stored procedure VB DLL but, i couldn't succeeded. Always i get the error message "function not found in the dll" .
any help will be appreciated.

senthil kumar,

Please create a new thread for this question.

Thanks, Terry L. Broadbent
Life would be easier if I had the source code. -Anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back