Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call users with a pre recorded message 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imstillhere

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2008
US
I need to set up something where I can initiate a recorded message to call department heads and managers to notify them of Network Problems. ie "The IT dept is expierencing network diffuculty and we are working on a resolution, please inform your dept not to call the help desk"
I have set up a shared distribution list, but i cant seem to implement it.

You know what works well for something like that (if you didn't want to use the Mail system)
That is such a cool product - worth at least knowing it is out there.

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators

A distribution list won't call the users but it will leave them a message and notify them via message waiting. That should work for you.

War Eagle!
Lions Baseball '09!

I would have thought CP 4.0 would have some way of calling people and playing a recorded message, heck my daughters little kindergarden school can call my cell phone and play me a message and I know they dont have an 81c W/ Call Pilot LOL.

Thank you both for responding.

The school subscribes to a service that does that I bet. Since 9/11, there were a lot of new "mass notification" companies born. Think of a large enterprise, how would they notify 1000's of employees about a disaster - and the "box" would have to be off-site, since the enterprise itself may be the location of the disaster.

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators

You make perfect sense.
I currently use a group call for such emergencies, I will just send out a broadcast message as well for those that didnt answer the group call.. a bit redundant but oh well. Thanks again GHTrout.

....hey I wonder if I record a MIRAN and add the acod as a member of my group call, if it will play the message to all the members?? I'll have to test that out on a small scale.

I wish. I've tried every way possible to include "more than DNs" to GRC and never got it to work. But, what you could do is get a discount answer machine - make that 500 set a member of the Group - it will answer, and play back the recording to all other people that answer.

One problem with GRC - it won't ever HUNT/FDN, so the people that do not answer won't even get a voice mail.

I'd look at that IVM problem I linked to. It does mass dialing (albeit one at a time for the low priced version).

Thats a good idea.. group call dosent hunt or forward anyway, but geeze thats so 70's lol

Have a star !!! thanks !!!

Talk about 70's. There are lots of CS1000's running on a 50Mhz CPU and under 100meg of RAM :)

HcaAdmin
As long as your distribution list is not too big, and the messages are short there is no reason why you couldn't use CallPilot.
Of course, if your distribution list contains mailbox numbers it will just dump the message in the mailbox. But you can also include Directory Entry users which can be cell phones or DN's on the switch without mailboxes. If outcalling is setup properly then the CallPilot will call out and play the message when the user answers.
Make it too big and you run the risk of tying up too many channels.

Steamer

Unfortunatley everyone on the list has a mailbox, and the list is 40 people.
Its a rare occasion i need to use it so I'm just gonna use the group call keys, stay on the line and tell the people that answer whats wrong and follow it up with a broadcast message, all the while thinking about the Bee Gees playing on 8 track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back